Sprinter?? Transit?? Diesel?? Gas??

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am for the rebuild....For about $20k you could replace the whole drive line from stem to stern with a factory 100,000K warranty....do a $2k to 3k in body work and paint job...maybe $25 K you have a brand new van...that gets a "confirmed" 22 to 27 MPG and none of that DEF crap...

and an abundance of after market parts at a good price...

Yup, you can save atleast half or more and put the difference in the retirement funds. Got mine for $16000, couldn't let this one slip, lol.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was just saying until MORE Real time information is available..."he said she said" does not really count or "I heard"....no one know for sure at this point knows how these 2 new entries to North America will hold up over here....

SprinterSiouxFalls

Rookie Expediter
FlyingVan,

I will start off by stating I am the manager for a Sprinter dealership in Sioux Falls, SD but joined this forum because I think there is a lot to learn from the discussion of the people using these vehicles on a daily basis. My dealership family also carries the Ford Transit so I have a pretty good opinion on both. Your current situation is exactly what we talk to people about with Sprinter, 600,000+ miles is awesome. I'm sure it hasn't been flawless but still that is tremendous. Talking with my tech on a daily basis who works on a lot of Sprinters, we agree that the 4 cylinder is showing to be the ticket for most people. It has had little to no problems since we have been selling them and has been very impressive on fuel economy. It truly seems to be a workhorse. Also tested the new 4x4 in Colorado a couple of months ago and it is unique and very capable. The ford is a nice clean and well done vehicle as well. I agree that if you go gas the ecoboost is a must. The engine is impressive and has a ton of power. I would expect a pretty big loss in fuel economy though compared to the diesel. I haven't had a ford Diesel yet and I am sure it would be a quality product. However when going with a diesel option I find it hard to go against a Mercedes engine and transmission. Anyway this is my two sense. If anyone ever has any questions I can help answer I would love to do that. I know I will have questions for everyone else!

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I've been doing a lot of reading on ProMaster 3.0 4 cylinder Diesel with the 'Automated' manual transmission. I am intrigued by this kind of transmission and the fuel mileage being reported and no downshifting going up a slight hill, or even in a headwind, like the gas version does. I definitely need to test drive one of these.

As a side note, it is interesting how, after all this acquired new knowledge, every time I look at a ProMaster it seems to magically not look so ugly any more. ;)

Competition is great for us lowly consumers.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I hated the "looks" if the Chevy Avalanche for a couple of years. I mean hated! Then I drive and bought one. I was hooked. Bought two of them over the following several years.
Don't judge a "tool" by its looks.
That machine has a job to do.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I read it somewhere on the internet that the expeditor drivers are the most sexiest people. So in won't matter if you are in an ugly van:)

"Hey, good lookin!" That's what you'll hear from the car next to you every time you are at the stop light. And, I'm pretty sure the other person is not talking to your van, lol.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
You can order the promaster with 2 optional paper bags with 2 holes in them, and they are reusable. So in the daytime just pull one over your head and nobody will recognize who you are. LOL.