SPRINTER TIRES

DAN

Seasoned Expediter
Can anyone tell me how many miles you got on the original tires and what brand ? I have on my 2006 Sprinter 120000 miles and the original Michellin look very good, is that normal or I am lucky?

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
that you Danno? Well I got 500K miles on my sprinter tires.....lol just kidding...120 is great I would say!! Call me if you are Danno, am in OHIO...

Dianne

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've got 118,000 miles on my original Michelin tires. They're just about to the 4/32 tread depth mark.

No, 120,000 is not normal. Neither is 118,000. Normal is about 80,000. Don't know if you're lucky, or if you maintain the tires properly.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I have around 58K on our 2006's original tires - the tread depth is around 8/9 32nds. I'd love to get 120K .... but don't think it's gonna happen ... I'd be happy with 100K at this point.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
changed the rear at 98,000 thenchanged the front and rear at 189,000 so i got 189,000 out of the fronts and still had servicable tread left bought the same michalins that it came with i figure if they get that kind of mileage there worth the 800.00 for a set of 4

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
189,000 on front Sprinter steer tires? 189,000? The tires that will (and do) wear faster than the rear load tires? 189,000? Okay....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Define "looking good".

Mine still look good, too, but tread depth is tread depth. No doubt in my mind that I could get another 20,000 miles out of these, maybe more, but that would run them down below the 4/32 mark required for front tires, and likely to the 2/32 mark that is required for drives. Last thing I want to deal with on the road, under a load, is tire problems.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If the wear bars are showing, not tread down to the wear bars, but just if the wear bars are showing at all, you should seriously consider replacing the tires soon. If you wait until the tread is down to the wear bars, it's far too late. When the tread is down to the wear bars, you have 2/32 or less of tread left. The wear bars are 2/32 of an inch deep.

Steer tires must have at least 4/32 of tread left (the top of Washington's head on a quarter).

Drive tires must have at least 2/32 of tread left (the top of Lincoln's head on a penny).

These measurements are for the center grooves of the tire, taken at least 15 inches apart, as well as for the inner and outer grooves taken a various spots on the tire. The shallowest measurement of tread anywhere on the tire is considered the tread dept of the tire.

Tread depths of 4/32 or less cannot negotiate wet roads. Water cannot be compressed, so there must be enough room between the tread groves to allow the water to escape. At 4/32 or less your vehicle simply has no choice but to float on top of the water, as there are no grooves with which to move the water out of the way.

For snow traction, you need at least 6/32 of tread left (the top of the Lincoln Memorial on a penny).

The original Michelin's found on most US Sprinters (LT 225 / 75R - 16) are 80,000 mile tires. At a ballpark figure of $800 for a set of four, it will cost you right at one penny per mile for those tires, at 80,000 miles. If you gain 25% or so with proper inflation (say, with nitrogen), that's 100,000, and is a cost of $.008 per mile. That's a $40 savings over replacing them at 80,000 miles.

When you get up in that range of miles, the difference between 4/32 and 2/32 is generally going to be between 10,000 and 20,000 additional miles. Going with the higher of the two at 20,000 additional over the 100,000, the cost savings of squeezing the last 20,000 miles down to the very real dangerous 2/32 wear bar mark is $0.0013 per mile, or about $26.00.

It's not a contest. Bluntly put, $26 is simply not enough to risk the lives of myself and others. When my tread depth hits 4/32 I'll replace all four tires (doing that today, actually), rather than trying to squeeze out another $13 on a pair of drives.

vipra

Expert Expediter
My Sprinter's original set of tires went 200K miles, the current set has 100K and it looks like they'll go 200K as well.

Some of you are saying that your front tires wear differently than the back ones. Don't you rotate your tires? I get them rotated every 20K miles. My owner's manual says to rotate them front to back, which eliminates any chance of them wearing differently.