Sprinter Stereo Speakers

vango

Expert Expediter
Anyone replaced their small factory speakers? If so,what brand,or maybe a different location for larger,better ones.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I replaced mine with some 4" Fosgates that were on sale at Best Buy. Took me about 15-20 minutes in the parking lot of the Best Buy in beautiful downtown Laredo. The pillars yank right off in the direction of the opposite window (driver's side gets yanked in the direction of the passenger wide window, etc.). The speaker grills lift up. The speakers will need to be pried up, they are held in with clips. The new speakers weren't an exact fit, of course, but it was close enough. I screwed them down onto the dash, kind of. The grill fit back over it nicely. Any speaker that's much higher and the grill won't go back down over it, so make sure it's not one that had a tweeter sticking out an inch or two.

Four inches is as four inches does, so don't expect anything Earth shattering from dash replacement speakers. I get better highs, most definitely, but you just can't get much bass out of a speaker like that.

Some have made custom enclosures to have larger speakers mounted on the doors, others have done the same in the headliner. I haven't done anything with additional speakers, yet.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I used JL Audio TR400 CXi's - sound quality is much improved but as Turtle mentions you aren't going to get a ton of bass of these or any similar speaker.

I elected to cement mine in with silicone rubber - which eliminates any rattling when the radio is turned up to max volume.