Sprinter PM results

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It starts with a tiny speck the eye of a needle....they can pop up like a pimpLE...

Fixed it.....

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
That sounds like the same problem that GM had with their paint in the mid-90's. It turned out that the paint was too hard with primer problems and it would 'chip' by tiny rocks hitting the car, exposing the metal which would than rust. I think they were using Dupont product they started using in the late 80's.

Where are these things happening?

hood?

Side?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That sounds like the same problem that GM had with their paint in the mid-90's. It turned out that the paint was too hard with primer problems and it would 'chip' by tiny rocks hitting the car, exposing the metal which would than rust. I think they were using Dupont product they started using in the late 80's.

Where are these things happening?

hood?

Side?

Side panels...even in the recesses of the cut out panels...the front and lower sides are more likely debris....start out as minute spots hard to see.....almost as if the coating is not continuous and sealed....maybe tiny air bubbles...

tbcabs

Seasoned Expediter
Was talking to a paint tech at a dealer that a buddy of mine works at. Told me that the rust around the windshield is from the tools they take out the old windshield with. And as far as the rest of the pits they are from the brine solution they pretreat the roads with up north. Told me that the road debris chips the paint and the brine splashes into the holes and caused the buildup. So I figure ill just paint the whole van with undercoating:p:p

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Was talking to a paint tech at a dealer that a buddy of mine works at. Told me that the rust around the windshield is from the tools they take out the old windshield with. And as far as the rest of the pits they are from the brine solution they pretreat the roads with up north. Told me that the road debris chips the paint and the brine splashes into the holes and caused the buildup. So I figure ill just paint the whole van with undercoating:p:p
Nice try....some I believe...BUT....would not every van suffer from this as well? I don't see the Fords or GM's have this problem...
and they didn't use any tools on my windshield....cept a hammer and a screwdriver is very few spots...and I have no rust around mine...

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lo and behold..I come off the highway just fine...start up a hill....and no/little power...feels like the turbo resonator broke...I had one huge hill to challenge....has to manually downshift to 3rd and a steady climb up at 35 mph...it was the Cheyenne River valley..NO cell service and the QC went for a crap as well....but I made it home ok...it does get up to speed evvvveennntually.....slllllllooooowly...*lol*

http://store.europarts-sd.com/turboresonatoreliminator-2004-2006.aspx

Last edited:

aileron

Expert Expediter
Lo and behold..I come off the highway just fine...start up a hill....and no/little power...feels like the turbo resonator broke...I had one huge hill to challenge....has to manually downshift to 3rd and a steady climb up at 35 mph...it was the Cheyenne River valley..NO cell service and the QC went for a crap as well....but I made it home ok...it does get up to speed evvvveennntually.....slllllllooooowly...*lol*

http://store.europarts-sd.com/turboresonatoreliminator-2004-2006.aspx

Before you replace that, check the codes with a DAD or DRB-III. You are in LHM (limp home mode). It can be caused by many other things.
If I were anywhere near you, I would have checked the code for you, but south Dakota is kinda far. Lol.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Before you replace that, check the codes with a DAD or DRB-III. You are in LHM (limp home mode). It can be caused by many other things.
If I were anywhere near you, I would have checked the code for you, but south Dakota is kinda far. Lol.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Nope did not go into limp mode....NO check engine light...
it also did not go into limp last time either.I know weird eh?
just no power to climb any incline...I still get up to about 63-65 mph on the flats....eventually...

I'll take it off and inspect it for cracks BEFORE I do anything...

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Nope did not go into limp mode....NO check engine light...
it also did not go into limp last time either.I know weird eh?
just no power to climb any incline...I still get up to about 63-65 mph on the flats....eventually...

I'll take it off and inspect it for cracks BEFORE I do anything...

Bummer, hope its nothing big. If you want a new van, there are some 2010's here.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
the rubber o-rings do dry out with age and blow apart on the resnator.:mad:

I would say 100% of Sprinters with over 100,000 miles, the O-ring will never dry out. This is due to the oil seperator filter allowing oil to be dumped into the trubo system. Even replacing the res. you use the old O-ring. Very few techs no about this filter.

Ken, I would remove the intake hose, (upper), and look for a small rip or hole. You do have an error code stored even with no engine light on.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would say 100% of Sprinters with over 100,000 miles, the O-ring will never dry out. This is due to the oil seperator filter allowing oil to be dumped into the trubo system. Even replacing the res. you use the old O-ring. Very few techs no about this filter.

Ken, I would remove the intake hose, (upper), and look for a small rip or hole. You do have an error code stored even with no engine light on.
thank you Edster...

Well went out and played with it and managed to get the engine light on...lol

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Boy that Europarts is quick...placed order Thursday morning, got the resonator, pulley kit and oil filters yesterday...:D

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Are there any magic fuel additives for diesel that keep the engine clean and the turbo will oiled and clean, etc.