Sprinter info

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
jeff35 how many miles?

ken-putting on miles. gee the one fella only has a three year head start on you but you have what 300k in just a couple years of trying? glad everything is purring along.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I've got an '07 170" wb high roof and I can get over 20 mpg if I keep the speed under 70. I get over 70 the mpg suffers. I've had it 11 months and have 111k.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
jeff35 how many miles?

ken-putting on miles. gee the one fella only has a three year head start on you but you have what 300k in just a couple years of trying? glad everything is purring along.

315,000 as of yesterday...and still purring, knock on wood...Yesterdays fill-up...26.22 mpg.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The examples given are even better than the dealer is pushing. Again it seems the answer is slowing down.

If want to do 70-75 mph theres a price to be paid....it's hard at times to keep that foot off the pedal seems like it takes forever to get somewhere and ya know it may only be a dif of a 1/2 hour but you'll have 20 bucks more in your pocket each time.....add them up....good luck

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Well ovm that's why I got speed control. set it and just cruise along. Yeah new 07 and newer get about 10-15% lower fuel economy (using figures from a couple of guys with them) than the older ones. Keeping the speed down and the rpm in the hp range is important on them. Since mine revs so high doing 70mph I've learned to keep the rpm down under 2400 and the mileage is great. I've got an 05 with the I-5 but same applies to the new one. Keep it in the hp range and as near torque range as possible and the mileage will be there. Doing samething on my old gm 6.5 diesel I got 20mpg (US gal) out of it and could do it consistently even with 1000lb loads onboard. Sprinter is much better mileage as I hit 26mpg easily and can do so even with small loads on but not with over 1000lbs.

So get cruise control and use it. I use mine a lot and let the speed demons go past and it's amazing how many pass you a second time on the highway as they pull over for something.
Rob

DAN

Seasoned Expediter
2006 High roof,160,000miles at 65 -70 miles per hour 22.3,at 70-75 only 20.5

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
ken, you have the air-tabs on that truck right? what was the increase about .5/gal?

About that Jack...the extra stability is good too...and they keep the road spray low so rear visibilty is improved.

Take a hit filling with bio-diesel...1-2 mpg. They have to do something about that..like lowereing the price like E-85.

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
I've got an idea of the average mileage, but how about maintenance? I've called around and more than one place said for oil, and oil filter - $310. Fuel filter change alone $225. Air filter and in-cab filter $205. This can't be right! Even syn oil wouldn't cause the price to be so high. Any comments? Thanks again, Jack

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've got an idea of the average mileage, but how about maintenance? I've called around and more than one place said for oil, and oil filter - $310. Fuel filter change alone $225. Air filter and in-cab filter $205. This can't be right! Even syn oil wouldn't cause the price to be so high. Any comments? Thanks again, Jack

I have no clue whats on the after market yet for the 07-08 models...It does seem high....like dealer high as always

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
jack,

call speedco. for the 05/06 i was quoted 75 bucks when i went looking for a van.

ken, bio is supposed to be less than d2 based on its percentage of bio but that seems to have gone the way of higher prices for delivery and the methanol is up a couple buck per gallon also. just remember to have a spre fuel filter available after the bio cleans out the fuel system.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
jack,

call speedco. for the 05/06 i was quoted 75 bucks when i went looking for a van.

ken, bio is supposed to be less than d2 based on its percentage of bio but that seems to have gone the way of higher prices for delivery and the methanol is up a couple buck per gallon also. just remember to have a spre fuel filter available after the bio cleans out the fuel system.

The Sprinter fuel filter must be real good....never gets clogged or dirty...

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
I'm starting to think I've made the right decision, and yes; I'm starting to believe. Thanks for all the input and keep it coming. Jack

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
New Sprinter four cylinder diesel with twin-turbos
Mercedes recently introduced regulated two stage turbocharging on the four cylinder diesels of the new Sprinter van. It's also planned for Mercedes new 4 cylinder engine, the OM651 expected around 2010. To meet the growing demands regarding performance and economy, it solves the conflict of optimum output and high boost from low rpm with two sequential small and large turbos, and provides spontaneous response with no turbo lag. R2S turbocharging was developed in cooperation with Borg Warner Turbo Systems in Kirchheimbolanden.

Wolfgang's ML Page: Mercedes, Freightliner, Dodge Sprinter

Chevron Delo 400 LE 15W-40 has received approval for Mercedes Benz diesel engine oil specification 228.31, covering commercial Mercedes-Benz diesel engines using diesel particulate filters (DPFs) and is thus suitable for the new 2007 Sprinter. It was approved without reformulation.

Last edited:

Flash

Seasoned Expediter
Sprinter Factory Insulation?

Does anyone know how good the optional front and rear insulation in the Sprinter is?

In a world of you get what you pay for, $120 front and $120 rear seems cheap.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Re: Sprinter Factory Insulation?

It is cheap, and it's mostly sound insulation and will afford very little thermal insulation. Some, but not really what we need out here.

If you want to insulate it right it'll cost you between $400 and $800. Foam boards, canned foam, and either Reflectix silver bubble pack, or about 5 or 6 of the do it yourself Thermo-mat Isoflex kits found here
Sprinter Cab Window Insulation Sets - for 2001-2008 all models * EuroCampers.com
and here
Window Insulation