sprinter crankshaft sensor recall

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Looks like the recall notices are arriving. I already replaced my crankshaft sensor in November out of my pocket. I'm in the shop right now for routine maintenance. Will have to see if the dealership is ready to do the work. Previously the dealership said they would probably re-replace the sensor according to whatever recall might come out. And refund for previous job would be up to Chrysler. I'll use this thread to document my progress, since some here have said they want to hear how Chrysler handles this.

eb

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yellow check engine light comes on then goes off again after about 5-7 starts...comes on when engine cools down....Had the glow plugs and sensor replaced. but light still comes on...Code reader says glow plug sensor, crankshaft sensor and outside temp sensor fault. Seems they are all connected somehow to trip the light...I know for sure outside temp gauge has a short somewhere so that will trip the light. Since they are minor faults they are not retained in memory...
Has the recall been announced with a recall number??

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I am geographically separated from the letter, but it apparently doesn't state a recall number. It is referred to as a safety recall for the crankshaft position sensor on 2007 Sprinters with 3.0 liter diesel engine both dodge and freightliner. The symptoms are that the vehicle will stall or not start.

eb

brownie4042

Seasoned Expediter
I asked about the recall when my 2007 was in for service shortly after this forum first made a statement there was recall in process about a month ago. As per the case my dealer was glueless even after I took them to the net to show him our site. So now I will take time out of my work week to take care of this problem.

Brownie 4042

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Chrysler made good on my recall work. With the recall notice the dealership re-replaced the crankshaft sensor. I then sent the receipt from my original work order that I had paid out of pocket, and today the check from Chrysler arrived. Full closure.

eb

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
The recall number is H02. Dodge Sprinter and Freightliner Sprinter.
This recall applies only to some of the above vehicles equipped with a
3.0L diesel engine​
(“5” in the 8th VIN position).