Sprinter 70cpm + fsc

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know a guy who has a small concrete pad on 1 acre with skirting around it and a set of stairs on one side. It has a shore power hook up and a mailbox. He just backs up his sprinter onto the concrete pad when he goes home and his sprinter is his house. So his sprinter payment and his house payment are one in the same. J/K, but it is something to consider!

Actually, my first thought was that's brilliant lol.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The wrap around deck is an excellent idea. There will be an outhouse/slash shower on one side of the deck, and a small storage shed on the other side for the lawn mower and other property maintenance items! This would actually be a great idea for someone to buy a small piece of land, pay it off, and then eventually build a small dwelling on it. But for the first few years, you live in your sprinter on the property. We will add a small storm shelter underground for tornadoes and some tie downs for the van so that it does not rock when the wind blows. Satellite television stays on the van so that you don't have to pay two bills, the fridge and microwave stay in the van, and the portable shower goes back in the van once you go back in service. lol

Reactions: RoadTime

APMECHANIC

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
2016 new GOP President wages/rates increasing with the improving economy "real money starts flowing again "
new USA manufacturing start ups , off shore labor/manufacturing will not have anything to take away from
the rebuilding and the expansion of the United States infrastructure . Companies will have to increase their
wages/rates or lose out / go out of business to their competition . These last 7 + years have been a drag for some people while other working people never felt the recession . If oil should head toward $100.00 a bbl I will be in the
West Texas oil fields , I've witness the oil field activity while there was an oil boom going on , it was a beautiful sight .

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There is no guarantee a Republican is going to win the next election. Everyone had Romney winning by a landslide and he lost by 3 million votes. I wouldn't count your chickens before they hatch!

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess carriers aren't making enough just by tripling the cost of the Qualcomm every week but that's another can of worms.
Actually it's more than triple... the QC basically costs $40/mo while some carriers are charging even $35/week (that'll be about $155/mo). Plus other tricks covered under the "fee" name for different things that an honest carrier won't do it...

sbarrett

Expert Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
Fleet Owner
Not to worry Leo very association to protect our interests is having their yearly conference in Key West !!A fine example of leadership and restraint while owner operators are eating Kraft dinner
That's like someone who doesn't pay taxes, expecting the government to pay their rent. SMH.

Reactions: xiggi and mdpettrey

mdpettrey

Seasoned Expediter
Not to worry Leo very association to protect our interests is having their yearly conference in Key West !!A fine example of leadership and restraint while owner operators are eating Kraft dinner

What does a yearly conference have anything to do with what your talking about??? If you had any idea what efforts have been put into helping our industry, then you would probably eat your words. It's not a Leadership problem it's a greed problem people not wanting to use quality carriers but instead they use anyone that runs for .70 per mile. On a personal note my straight trucks get a 22% FSC on $1.25 which if you can the math not only does that pay for the FSC but they actually make money off of it......AND GUESS WHAT I DON'T GET A PENNY FOR FSC!!! My smaller units run for nothing less than $1.00 per mile, which makes it at times hard to keep them busy. So if your eating Kraft dinner it has nothing to do with leadership or an association but it has to do with how low your willing to set your standards and what you'll run for. I preach every day "SAY NO TO CHEAP FREIGHT", ask any C&M driver out there if they sit it's because we won't lower our standards to run cheap.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What does a yearly conference have anything to do with what your talking about??? If you had any idea what efforts have been put into helping our industry, then you would probably eat your words. It's not a Leadership problem it's a greed problem people not wanting to use quality carriers but instead they use anyone that runs for .70 per mile. On a personal note my straight trucks get a 22% FSC on $1.25 which if you can the math not only does that pay for the FSC but they actually make money off of it......AND GUESS WHAT I DON'T GET A PENNY FOR FSC!!! My smaller units run for nothing less than $1.00 per mile, which makes it at times hard to keep them busy. So if your eating Kraft dinner it has nothing to do with leadership or an association but it has to do with how low your willing to set your standards and what you'll run for. I preach every day "SAY NO TO CHEAP FREIGHT", ask any C&M driver out there if they sit it's because we won't lower our standards to run cheap.

Im glad there are good people out there in this industry, and that there are some people who can still make money.

I was just running some numbers on a load I did from Michigan to Florida, 987 miles $1328 linehaul pay, 1.34 a mile, plus $50 for waiting time, and 17.50 for lift gate charge. If I would have known what they were bidding on that load, I would have said no, but I don't find out until it shows up on the settlement. Oh, by the way, there was 140 miles deadhead to pick up the load and 500 miles deadhead home for Thanksgiving.

How do people who have to pay a truck payment, and have to pay for someone to work on their truck make it in this business?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im glad there are good people out there in this industry, and that there are some people who can still make money.

I was just running some numbers on a load I did from Michigan to Florida, 987 miles $1328 linehaul pay, 1.34 a mile, plus $50 for waiting time, and 17.50 for lift gate charge. If I would have known what they were bidding on that load, I would have said no, but I don't find out until it shows up on the settlement. Oh, by the way, there was 140 miles deadhead to pick up the load and 500 miles deadhead home for Thanksgiving.

How do people who have to pay a truck payment, and have to pay for someone to work on their truck make it in this business?
It must be very difficult....this business seems to have morphed into a 2 income ordeal.... IMO

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Iam eating just fine, thank you very much :)
I have found a place where I can be competitive IF NEED BE.

Oh and I sure aren't sitting 4-5 days run a load and sit another 3-4 days and run another just so you can make YOUR profit margin....