Sprinter 70cpm + fsc

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Saw a banner ad offering Sprinters and vans 70cpm plus fsc. Sprinters for 70cpm? People are actually running for that? I found it marginal running for 85cpm in a G3500. I can't imagine running a Sprinter for less than a dollar a mile plus fsc. I guess I'm out of touch or unreasonable but 70cpm? Talk about cheap freight.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Saw a banner ad offering Sprinters and vans 70cpm plus fsc. Sprinters for 70cpm? People are actually running for that? I found it marginal running for 85cpm in a G3500. I can't imagine running a Sprinter for less than a dollar a mile plus fsc. I guess I'm out of touch or unreasonable but 70cpm? Talk about cheap freight.
I think you are a little out of touch. I haven't run for a $1 mile plus fsc since I left Landstar 4 1/2 yrs ago. Rates have gone south since then. Currently doing loads in the .90 to 1.10+ range.

Reactions: ntimevan

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Let's not talk about cheap freight !

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The current rate at Panther is .80 cents a mile, back when I was running it was .97-1.00 with my hazmat. Every 1000 miles traveled go ahead and knock off about $200 and add $50 for fuel savings. Who pocketed the $150 or did companies start hiring refugees?? :)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The current rate at Panther is .80 cents a mile, back when I was running it was .97-1.00 with my hazmat. Every 1000 miles traveled go ahead and knock off about $200 and add $50 for fuel savings. Who pocketed the $150 or did companies start hiring refugees?? :)
If you can blame the system for that drop by allowing the onion to grow more layers skimming a percentage off the original rate three PL's now 4pls....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I confess to not keeping up as much since I parked, obviously even less than I realized. The fsc reduction I see just with lower fuel prices. Regular is around $1.75 near me and diesel around $2 I think although I don't pay too much attention since I don't buy it. I'm just amazed at 70cpm for a Sprinter though. I guess carriers aren't making enough just by tripling the cost of the Qualcomm every week but that's another can of worms.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I confess to not keeping up as much since I parked, obviously even less than I realized. The fsc reduction I see just with lower fuel prices. Regular is around $1.75 near me and diesel around $2 I think although I don't pay too much attention since I don't buy it. I'm just amazed at 70cpm for a Sprinter though. I guess carriers aren't making enough just by tripling the cost of the Qualcomm every week but that's another can of worms.
Not to worry Leo very association to protect our interests is having their yearly conference in Key West !!A fine example of leadership and restraint while owner operators are eating Kraft dinner

Reactions: ntimevan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not to worry Leo very association to protect our interests is having their yearly conference in Key West !!A fine example of leadership and restraint while owner operators are eating Kraft dinner
Don't forget about straight trucks with you if their base rate is a dollar 20 and fuel surcharge is only $.20

APMECHANIC

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I was with Nations Express during 2004-05 I usually got $1.40 a mile which was pretty standard . There were also those 3rd party loads that paid .95 - $1.00 per mile . Since then rates have gone down while the cost of living has gone up . I drove a 2002 Ford E350 7.3L Powerstroke at the time . I'm wondering how the Ford Transit and the Dodge/Fiat Promaster will hold up in the expediting environment ? I'm thinking about getting back in Spring 2016 .

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'd have to spec on it and probably get with Jethro to do some serious ciphering but if a carrier paid 70cpm plus fsc all miles I might go for that. With all the unpaid dh etc. there's no way though.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Adapt, improvise, and overcome. If you can't pay your bills, you need to be eating Kraft mac and cheese and 1 can of bush baked beans per day. That's a four dollar daily meal right there. You can get free Wifi, heat, air conditioning, and unlimited drink refills at MacDonald's for a dollar. You even get to take the cup home with you! Make sure you link your fuel card up with one of your family members who runs over the road so you get your free showers. You can buy your clothes at thrift stores. There are thousands of them all over the country. You can also get free meals from the soup kitchens, and if you want to sleep in a nice warm bed, you can stay the night at a homeless shelter! lol. The perks of driving a cargo van are endless!

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
It must be a tough go for these guys with the van payment, mortgage payment , family to feed...
Don't see this as a good option for a younger person with family. Doing OK in my rookie year, but, won't know if I am making $$ until tax time. My carrier does OK by me but no paid moves and only .10/mile empty after 50 miles. My best guess that all miles and FSC included I am around .70 per mile. My best guess is .40 mile cost??

Reactions: neilblack

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It must be a tough go for these guys with the van payment, mortgage payment , family to feed...

I know a guy who has a small concrete pad on 1 acre with skirting around it and a set of stairs on one side. It has a shore power hook up and a mailbox. He just backs up his sprinter onto the concrete pad when he goes home and his sprinter is his house. So his sprinter payment and his house payment are one in the same. J/K, but it is something to consider!