Cargo Van Sprinter 05

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Ken, you probably have what I had a few months ago. I messed with it for a while but then took it to Dr. A and he figured it out quick. It was #1 injector. Under high loads, the ecu asks for a lot of fuel pressure, but that one injector would leak the pressure back to the tank. Mine was ok until the ecu asked for more then 12k psi and then it would fall on its face. New injector and my van runs as new again.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Turtle

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ken, you probably have what I had a few months ago. I messed with it for a while but then took it to Dr. A and he figured it out quick. It was #1 injector. Under high loads, the ecu asks for a lot of fuel pressure, but that one injector would leak the pressure back to the tank. Mine was on until the ecu asked for more then 12k psi and then it would fall on its face. New injector and my van runs as new again.

Does the diagnostic pin point which injector?

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
BTW, when the engine shuts down you don't have to pull over and restart. Just take your foot off the accelerator, cycle the key quickly to off then back on (do not crank it) and it will restart.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Without question, the most common cause of low rail pressure is exactly what FlyingVan described (and what I touched on in my second paragraph above). It's probably 80% of the time.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
BTW, when the engine shuts down you don't have to pull over and restart. Just take your foot off the accelerator, cycle the key quickly to off then back on (do not crank it) and it will restart.

Don't have to put it in neutral to restart?

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You would if you were to crank it, bc that's kinda what the neutral safety switch is for. In this case, hmm. Idk:rolleyes:

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Don't have to put it in neutral to restart?
No. Cause you are not cranking it, you are basically just resetting the ecu. At this point the engine will be freewheeling and the instant you turn the key back on it will fire up and run. I believe this won't happen under a certain mph, but I don't know what this speed is.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
If you know it will shut down reliably:

Attach auxiliary fuel source to high pressure pump, bypassing every component of fuel supply system. Test drive with the same conditions that make it shut off. If it fixes it, you have a supply problem. If problem still exists, the problem is in the high pressure system.

Reactions: Turtle

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
When mine was shutting down I attached a fuel gauge right after the fuel filter. The low fuel pressure should be around 55-60 psi. I took it for a spin, stepped on it and the engine shut down but the low pressure never dropped below 55 psi. This is a sure way to test your in-tank fuel pump and fuel filter.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
the ole war horse will have to struggle a bit...as I said....it does not have much open road time left on her...shes about to cross the finish line...and go to the retirement ranch...