Spreadsheet learning

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
i would like to learn more on spreadsheets and how to better track per diem and depreciation. I like spreadsheets and I track our actual expenses, but believe I could do more with the right knowledge.

I would also like to learn more on return on investment (ROI) and to set up a spreadsheet correctly.

An advanced spreadsheet class would really be a blast....

fketchum

Seasoned Expediter
I think the spreadsheet was the best thing to happen to the computer, and if the spreadsheet was the only program ever developed for the PC the PC would still be justified.
I know Microsoft provides some excellent resources that can be accessed here Excel Help and How-to - Microsoft Office
Hope that helps
Frank

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Before you all run off and get into this, I have a suggestion that will make life easier for you.

First write down what you are want on paper then take actual numbers and plug them in. Do what you want on paper, get it right then get into the program. Some of what Excel can offer you can be hard to understand, especially with some of the advanced accounting and stat functions. Simple equations can also be a problem, I had to work on one for the data dump of my ecm and idle time fuel consumption and it took me a while to figure it out because of the nesting of the equation.

See it is all great that spreadsheets are God's gift to man kind and all that but without knowing what you want out of it, it is rather like walking in the dark and not trying to stumble into a sewer drain.

By the way, check out the template section of MS site - warning the site is not user friendly like it used to be.

Office Templates

Download a few templates, like the Capital Budgeting w/ROI and play with it. Another one is Value Analysis Calculator for services

The OOIDA one is a good start, it has the categories one needs in this business. I modified it for my own use and it gives me all kinds of numbers and makes graphs and such.

rooster21

Seasoned Expediter
There are some open source programs you can use instead of paying for office.

Google provides awesome spread sheet, presentations and templates.

Also, once you get to know excel or a spreadsheet there are databases they are better companions when it comes to running a business or just a hobby.

Do not forget to play with the formulas and macros.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Open Office. It will read Microsoft products. It has a great tutorial and video on line. I made my 1st spread sheet ever in about 3 hours of study and doing it. And it FREE!

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.

rooster21

Seasoned Expediter
Golfournut....I told you are a man of many talents.

Thank you for your guideness through my headache.

I will pm you tomorrow on the replys you sent...drove all morning...tire...and wow was it beautiful out west.

Thanks again your awesome!

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I would also like to learn more on return on investment (ROI) and to set up a spreadsheet correctly.

As stated in this Investopedia definition of ROI, ROI is a popular metric because of its simplicity and flexibility. But in that flexibility lies the ability to fool yourself by using wishful thinking when selecting your inputs.

I can see using ROI if you are comparing two investments like say a bank CD vs. a U.S. Treasury bond. But these are very different than an investment in a truck that you operate and that has a tax depreciation schedule, the cost of labor (the driver) required to make the truck move, the cost of fuel that is also required to make the truck move, the cost of interest paid to finance the truck purchase, the cost of insurance that must be paid even when the truck sits idle, etc.

Notice too that the returns you get from two identical trucks will vary dramatically depending on the driver(s) that occupy them. In one truck that has the exact same value and operating costs as another, an intelligent professional driver will produce much more than a driver in the other tuck who goes home every two weeks and turns down loads because he or she does not want to miss a TV program.

Trucks produce nothing on their own. It is only in the hands of drivers that they make money. That is one of many reasons why ROI is inadequate in and of itself. Evaluating the ROI of a truck without accounting for the driver variables is like evaluating a human body without accounting for the fact that it may be alive or dead.

When you buy a truck you are deploying capital to acquire an income producing asset, an asset that must be operated to provide any kind of a return at all. It is not like an investment in something where you put money into it, put it in a drawer, and wait for the maturity date to collect your gains.

ROI is a ratio; one of dozens and dozens of ratios that financial analysts use to gauge the financial performance of a company. Different ratios measure different company aspects. Some measure profitability, some measure management ability, etc.

No single ratio tells the complete story. See this list to get a sense of the variety of ratios that exist and what you can learn about them with further study.

Notice that no matter what ratio you are talking about or think is better than others to measure company performance, it is a ratio. A ratio does not come out of thin air. It is a calculated value, the inputs for which, come from your company income statement and statement of net worth (balance sheet).

Before calculating a ratio of any kind, you must have the numbers to plug into the calculation. In that regard, your inquiry about how to correctly set up a spreadsheet is spot on because a spreadsheet is commonly used to produce both an income statement and a statement of net worth.

When you have those two documents in hand and in good order, you can use the numbers to calculate any number of ratios and then decide which ratios best tell you what you want to know about your business and how meaningful any of those rations may or many not be.

Once you have a good income statement and statement of net worth spreadsheets up and running, I think you will find that ratio analysis is more trouble than it is worth.

You are not running a complex corporation. You are running a one-truck expediting business. Your income statements and statements of net worth compared to each other over the months and years will tell you almost at a glance where you are doing well and where you can improve.

If you want to step deeper into it and calculate ratios to then analyze, you certainly can. It is a simple matter of plugging the ratio formulas into your spreadsheet. The question is, do you really want to do that, and if so, why?

Diane and I spent $251,000 to buy our truck in 2006. We could have invested that money in other things like stocks or real estate or part ownership in a business that is operated by others, or anything else.

Sure, an analyst could run our numbers through any number of screens to determine what this ratio or that is to see if this investment was better or worse than others. But doing so would be a meaningless exercise. It would be meaningless because we did not become expediters and buy a truck for the money alone. We did it also for lifestyle considerations, the value of which cannot be quantified or evaluated in financial terms.

In your and Bob's case, Linda, I suggest that ratio analysis would be similarly meaningless. Without even looking a a spreadsheet, you already know that your profitability would be increased if you limited yourself to one truck show every two years. But you don't limit yourself like that because you enjoy truck shows, so you willingly sacrifice the income you could otherwise make and spend the money to go to them.

If you were in the business for the sole purpose of producing good ratios, your behavior would be different. But you have already decided that lifestyle trumps ratios, thereby rendering the ratios meaningless.

It is different in the corporate world where ratios are regularly used by shareholders to evaluate management. Corporations exist to make money for the investors and heads roll when targets are not met.

Expediting is different. You get to keep your head and have fun too.

Regarding learning how to use a spreadsheet, I was a software instructor for a while before getting into expediting. One of the best self-help resources I found was the Microsoft Step-by-Step series. Find the Microsoft Office Excel Step-by-Step book that corresponds to the version of Excel you have and buy that book. If you are an OpenOffice.org Calc user, buy the book anyway. A spreadhseet is a spreadsheet. Much of what is in this excellent Microsoft book will transfer directly to OpenOffice.org.

Last edited:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
That's great that operators want this information, makes better professional business owners. The best ROI I have is my brother. When he got his CPA, he gave my dad a huge ROI on his investment. That investment has really given me a great return as well.:D:D

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Thanks for all of the links to understanding spreadsheets. I have found that spreadsheets are an integral part of our business and I rely on them for information about out business as well as what is going on with our truck.

I have one spreadsheet I use for our fuel mileage and when our MPG would start to drop for no known reason I knew it was time to get into the shop for an overhead to be run. With this spreadsheet I can also tell quickly when we do something to change the aerodynamics of our truck if it helped or hurt us. I have added a column to our spreadsheet for what we pay in state fuel taxes so that I can keep track of our true cost of fuel. Doing this has helped us to lower our fuel costs.

I have a spreadsheet that I keep track of our loads and mileages ran. With this spreadsheet one of my columns I keep track of is our unauthorized dead head miles. This figure can keep us in check to what we spending by traveling around on weekends or even going out of route. This figure can really lower our PPM on a load.

I have other spreadsheets I keep statistics about our truck and our business as I enjoy knowing these costs.

I hope others who are leery of spreadsheets will take some of the great information offered and start spreadsheets of their own.