Speed Limiters and Blowouts

sweetbillebob

Seasoned Expediter
Here is a link that shows how to react when a blowout occurs.

Links : Custom Semi Truck : Fastertruck.com : Diesel Semi Accessories

The gist is the following.

From a steering perspective, react as if a strong gust of wind hit you from the side.

From a right foot perspective;
Best - accelerate to reduce the effect of the side force with additional forward force
Next Best - maintain current speed to keep current forward force
Not So Good - take foot off accelerator, reducing forward force, thus given side force more effect on truck
Worst - Brake, side force will probably put you in the ditch

Obviously, if you are at 65 MPH when you have the blowout, your best option is not available to you.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
This seems like another reason to run your truck down around 60 mph or less so if you do have a problem you can correct it.

If you are governed at 65 mph that does not mean you have to run that speed everywhere you go.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey Bob, have you had your truck "fixed" yet? I was wondering, if you did, what changes if any in performance etc you have noticed. I most likely will get mine done when I am home in June.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Yes we have had the ECM changed and so far fuel mileage is the same and since we run so slow we have seen no difference in performance. We have been running the mountains of Califonia and Nevada and everything is good.

We did not expect any change in our trucks performance and so far we have been right. Truck runs fine.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am happy to hear that. I am SO pleased with my mileage and would hate to have that messed up. My average mpg is creeping up closer to 11 now. I don't know if there is much more I can squeeze out of it. Those mud flaps were an amazing addition to the truck. I now try to hold 61-62 mph. Much lower than that and my truck starts shifting all the time. I might have the shift points looked at when I get the ECM limiter set.

Big Redd

Expert Expediter
Great response Linda.. If you don't play with matches then you never have to worry about burning your fingers...Maybe if more people realized this then there would be less complaining......

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
experienced a rolling road block in Va yesturday.had nothing to do with limiters, but two trucks with more load than power.Going up one of the long hills on I 81,neither truck could pass the other,one of VA's finest took the situation into his hand,pulled both trucks over,they had a serious traffic jam.I don't know if any tickets were written

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I love those "Rolls Canardlly" trucks!! They roll down one side of the hill and can hardly make it up the other!! :D That is sure a very old joke!!

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Most drivers will radio me and ask me what I have under the hood that allows me to go up the mountain at posted limits.
It is usually a driver of one of those, Under Powered Semis (UPS) that give me grief if I pass them a couple of times up the hill after they roared by me going down the hill.:D