Speed Limiter Experience Direct From Canada

sweetbillebob

Seasoned Expediter
We are in Canada, have been here since Tuesday, (Currently Thurs Mid Day). I would like to share what I have seen and heard from Canadians regarding the limiter(s).

Scale houses are full of trucks being checked, most are open during the day, none at night that we have seen. (We have been back and forth across 401,402,403 (3) times.) Lots of guys running around with hand held devices. (This has been seen from the road, we have not had to pull in yet. They turn on the flashers indicating open when they have a few open spots, then turn the flashers off until they have room again.) We stopped by Freightliner yesterday to pick up some rubber nuts for our grill and I had a long talk with the guy at the service desk regarding the limiters.

He said, "they pull the pertinent data out of the truck with the hand held devices. Then download the data into a computer. Add in some additional data such as tire brand/size. Then the computer gives a go/no go. If no go, the computer identifies the reason. All data effecting the limiter is utilized, (revs/mile, diff. ratio, etc.). Fines are increased if the limiter is set and other parameters have been altered to make it seem like you are complying when you can actually run faster".

He also talked with me about parameters specific to Freightliner under the "Smart Pass" section. Smart Pass is designed to work when the vehicle has been limited. It is available for all Freightliner models and all engines supplied by Freightliner. The purpose to to make available extra speed, past the set limit, for passing and emergency situations. He showed me the parameter settings of a truck that had just been in to get the Smart Pass variables set. There are (3) parameters that get set; max speed increment above the setpoint, amount of time allowed over the set point, timer reset. In the case I was shown, the truck could run 10 km/hour over the speed limiter setpoiint, for 25 minutes, every 8 hours. It is actuated by depressing the accelerator to the floor, releasing, then accelerating again. It starts counting time when the speed passes the limiting setpoint, stops counting time when the speed is back under the setpoint. The next time it is invoked, it adds to the previous time. The time counter is reset, in this case after 8 hours, resetting the cumulative time above the setpoint. All three variables can be adjusted, I know some of the limits, but not all. Max time is 255 minutes, min reset time 8 hours, max reset time 24 hours.

He did not have information regarding whether or not the DOT allows these parameters to be set. It would make sense that if they did there would be limits. He did say that 50% of the truckers who came in the have their speed limiter set were choosing to set the Smart Pass variable also. And that by and large they were using the parameters as intended, (for passing and emergencies). They were not being set high to allow extended running time above the limit. The fine is from $250 to $20,000. The high end being used as a deterrent from messing with parameters to allow speeds in excess of the limit while trying to appear compliant.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I was not aware of the Smart Pass setting. Its existence validates concerns widely expressed by contractors who want to retain the ability to increase their speed to get out of certain situations. Clearly, such a setting would not exist if people had no such concerns.

------------------

"He said, 'they pull the pertinent data out of the truck with the hand held devices. Then download the data into a computer.'"

If the Ontario scale cops are now reading a truck's ECM, I wonder, how much of an extra step it will be for them to match truck operating data with log book enteries, and how much of a concern that may be for truckers of all kinds?

Maybe this was not about speed limiters at all, but instead a back-door way for scale cops to get into a truck's data without fighting a legislative battle to require black boxes to be installed. By your report, it sounds like the black boxes are in the scale cops' hands right now.

Interesting info you share above. Thanks.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
IF they are getting picky about tire size/brand etc. What is going to happen as your tires wear? What happens when you change tires, same size, different brand? How often are we going to have to change, every few weeks? Goofy law.

FJK1954

Expert Expediter
WOW- Thanks for the info on the smartpass, my truck is at freightliner as we speak to get the limiter set, so I just called them to tell them to set smartpass up for me. He wasnt sure mine has it but is going to check.(it has a mercedes engine). hope so. frank

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
IF they are getting picky about tire size/brand etc. What is going to happen as your tires wear? What happens when you change tires, same size, different brand? How often are we going to have to change, every few weeks? Goofy law.

Joe I think they are looking for extremes that would cause you to be speeding.

Have you not heard of people all ready trying to play this game with their ECM?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, I am sure that they are just looking for extremes. At least I hope so. I just get soooo confused over this stuff. I don't understand it all that well. It is frustrating. I like simple, black and white. Do this, don't do that. I will be buying tires in a month or so. Different brand, same size. More tread because of being new. Will that be enough to throw the ECM off? If I have to do this I just want to set it and forget it. Oh, well. I get the "castration" done on Monday. *SIGH* Let's hope there is enough frieght into ON and QC to justify it.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I ever run into you Joe, I'll be sure to buy you a 65MPH approved beverage, if we meet in Kentucky or some place that puts "7"'s on their signs, you'll have to buy, being from Ontario I'm not allowed to count past 65 anymore, unless I count in metric. Ever had a Metric beverage? I think Moot has, usually before he writes about reaction drills and the like.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sounds like a REALLY good idea, Piper1. I don't think in metric. The metric system is a communist plot to overtake the world. :D

aileron

Expert Expediter
Sounds like a REALLY good idea, Piper1. I don't think in metric. The metric system is a communist plot to overtake the world. :D

Having been born and lived in europe for 18 years, I wish that US would switch over to the metric system. So much easier. But I don't think it will happen in my lifetime. Too much cost to change everything. At one time Alabama had both mile markers and kilometers markers. I thought that that would be the beginning, but the kilometers markers disappeard.

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
Having been born and lived in europe for 18 years, I wish that US would switch over to the metric system. So much easier. But I don't think it will happen in my lifetime. Too much cost to change everything. At one time Alabama had both mile markers and kilometers markers. I thought that that would be the beginning, but the kilometers markers disappeard.

Years ago the U.S. planned to switch to the metric system but it was rejected by us citizens who knew better, thank God. That is why some things like soda, milk, bottled water, etc., are marked in liters.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Having been born and lived in europe for 18 years, I wish that US would switch over to the metric system. So much easier.

Arithmetic by 10's is easy enough but overall I don't see what's difficult about what we have. Then again, I paid attention through all the arithmetic classes.

aileron

Expert Expediter
Well, Leo, I have been here for a while and I got used to this system. However, it is a lot harder.
2 examples that were difficult for me which present no difficulty for someone used to this system when switching to teh metric system.
1: I have been working on cars and rebuilding engines since I was about 16 years old.
When I came here, I would pick up the wrong wrench, let's say 3/4. I need one slightly smaller. WHich is it? 5/16, 3/16 ??? Of course, after I memorized them it was ok. But in metric system you pick up up a 15 mm wrench and you need a smaller one. Ohhhh, which one is it, let's see, no memorization needed, you know you need a 14. (To complicate matters worse, on an american car you find both SAE and metric fasteners. Gotta love those fords).
2: Try calculating the square footage of a room, let's make it easy, of a rectangle shape. 17 feet 4 inches by 15 feet 10 inches. If you can do it in your head, you are a lot better than me. I need to do it with a pen and paper. However, if you tell me the room is 4 meters 40 centimeters by 3 meters 70 centimeters, I can do it in my head.

I am not bashing any systems, it is just that one is a lot easier than another. I understand that this is what people here are used to, but if they would use the metric system they would find it easier. Just when you mention the word 'change' some people will jump, even if they don't know what the change would be.

One questions for you guys born and raised here. Do you find any advantages of using this system over the metric? Something other than 'this is what I have ever used'.
(By the way, this question is serious, I don't intend in starting a war, just want to hear your oppinion.)

Man, see what I am getting into, instead of making some money. :):)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am USED to miles and feet. I can picture that in my mind. I shoot in yards. I understand where the 10 base would be easier IF I was raised with it but it will be hard at 58 to start over. Besides, killomters sounds stupid!! LOL. I don't like centigrade temps. They are too inaccurate. Too many very important things going on between 1C and 0C.