Speed Kills .... Your Pocketbook

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
One thing you constantly hear from insurance companies, police, and the media is that 'speed kills.' Well, it turns out, it doesn't. Many have suspected or know this for a while now, but this video is just brilliant at how it thoroughly debunks the 'speed kills' myth, and shows why the myth persists. It's 15 minute long, well worth every minute, as it is fascinating, educational, funny, and enraging all at the same time.

Example: There's a vehicle in the left lane holding up traffic at 120 km/h in a 100 km/h zone.
He's speeding: $138
Impeding traffic: $121
And not moving out of the lane: $109

... And it's a cop.

If you're in a fully marked police car, you could at least pretend the law applies to you as well.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Great video! It even contained the Canadian mandated hockey scene, though the hockey players were two brothers from Minnesota. Ya, you betcha, ay.

moose

Veteran Expediter
BTW! Look on where the black Chevy hit the truck. those are skirt protectors aimed @ preventing a car from going under the truck. those are mandated in many places, but not here in the US/Can. this year the NTSB recommends adding those to all CMV's over 26,000p. @ your cost.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The premise of this video is that speed kills your pocketbook via the government. What wasn't noted was that speed kills your pocketbook through reduced fuel economy.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Some good points in the video. The biggest thing I see out there is not so much speed, as vehicle spacing. These drivers cut their own throats by bunching up, especially near on ramps. There is absolutely no room for a merging car as everyone jockey's for position and feel the need for bumper to bumper.

I would hate to see 70mph increased to 80....because now their going to do 90?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I would hate to see 70mph increased to 80....because now their going to do 90?
You should probably watch the video again. People don't do 10 MPH over because it's 10 MPH over, they drive at a speed which is safe and prudent regardless of what the posted speed limit is. The 85th percentile. In places where the posted speed limit is 80, people don't drive 90. Vast sections all over Texas is 75 MPH and people don't drive 85 there. A few do, sure, and they are ripe for a ticket, but the accident rates have nevertheless gone down where the speed limit has been increased. That's been proven in Texas, and Michigan.

If people are doing 10 MPH over the posted speed limit, then the posted speed limit is 10 MPH too low. Study after study has proven that, and not a single study has indicated otherwise. Like the studies show, and the recommendations state, the posted speed limit should be too fast for most people.

New Jersey has been experimenting for several years with dynamic speed limits in several places where the posted speed limit is based on what the 85th percentile is doing. Accident rates are way down in those areas. Of course, speeding tickets are down, too. That's the tradeoff that many government authorities don't like. It's almost as if the accidents are worth it to them, as long as they can keep their revenue stream in tact.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Nope. Don't need to watch it again.

Not debating the content or study brought forth in the video. I just happen to disagree with it. I've seen these "safe and prudent " drivers in action.

Blowing by on the right, flashing past you by inches, ride up on the guy in left lane, hit brakes, hit "send", and flash back over across three lanes of traffic, rinse and repeat.

It's kinda like the idea would work, given a responsible group of drivers. American drivers have proven on a daily basis to ME......that they cannot handle responsible driving, will not adhere to any driving laws, and have no regard for others on the road. I only think about the narcissistic and self centered arrogance of the American populace and would vote no......to handing them any more "freedom on the road".

Freedom's require responsibility. Mix in some good prescription drugs, a smart phone, and it's after the college game on Saturday night? No thanks.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Nope. Don't need to watch it again.
I see your mind is made up. OK.

Not debating the content or study brought forth in the video. I just happen to disagree with it.
The facts are what they are. Disagreeing with the study (several of them, plural, all showing the same thing) doesn't make them any less factual. Speed limits get raised, accidents go down, I don't know how you can possibly disagree with that. <shrug>

I've seen these "safe and prudent " drivers in action.

Blowing by on the right, flashing past you by inches, ride up on the guy in left lane, hit brakes, hit "send", and flash back over across three lanes of traffic, rinse and repeat.
OK, now that you've described the actions of the non-safe and non-prudent drivers, you know, the 15th percentile, wanna take a shot at describing the actions of the other 85 percent? Th exceptions to the rule don't make the rule. The 15 percent is not the 85 percent.

It's kinda like the idea would work, given a responsible group of drivers.
Which 85 percent have proven time and time again to be. I wonder in what percentile you consider yourself to be.

American drivers have proven on a daily basis to ME......that they cannot handle responsible driving, will not adhere to any driving laws, and have no regard for others on the road. I only think about the narcissistic and self centered arrogance of the American populace and would vote no......to handing them any more "freedom on the road".
I dunno. Sure, it's clear that you don't have a high regard for others on the road, because all you see are irresponsible drivers, but I drive responsibly, adhere to driving laws and have a very high regard for others on the road. Most of the other drivers I encounter every day are the same. At least 85% of them, in fact.

Freedom's require responsibility. Mix in some good prescription drugs, a smart phone, and it's after the college game on Saturday night? No thanks.
I don't think that's really the norm, either.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Speed doesn't kill.
Speed differential kills.

Another quote of my father. The highway design engineer for the Alabama Highway Department. He also was quick to remind many that the US interstate system was designed for US cars manufactured in the late 1950s. Period. Later model cars are far better equipped to "handle" the vast majority of these gentle curves and slight banks.

Kyle06

Seasoned Expediter
Very interesting video, and very true most people will travel and the speed that they feel comfortable at.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
I disagree with the study in raising any speed limits so people can drive as they see comfortable. Don't care what the percent is.

That's my take, opinion, and final thoughts. Please proceed. :)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I disagree with the study in raising any speed limits so people can drive as they see comfortable. Don't care what the percent is.

That's my take, opinion, and final thoughts. Please proceed. :)

Which part do you disagree with? The results of the studies which all say accidents are redued in areas where the speed limits have been raised, or in allowing people to drive comfortably? Fascinating.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are underlying things we are not privy too....
Such as engineering requirements of said road....
Maybe the banking does not support the speed?
Maybe it requires more guardrails at increased speeds?
Maybe it is an area of high wildlife strikes?....
Maybe that stretch has a high percentage of school bus traffic?

If these roads are within city limits the city/county sets the speed, not the state.
might you be in a high senior population and they like it that way?

Why is I-294 in Chicago only 55 mph?

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There are underlying things we are not privy too....
True, but the engineers who have done the studies are privy to it. They take all that into consideration. None of the studies have recommended willy nilly raising the speed limits. They have all been recommended based on sound engineering considerations, and in every case where the limits have been raised, accidents have gone down.

Why is I-294 in Chicago only 55 mph?
The answer is in the video. But if you notice, people ignore the posted speed limit (and posted speed minimum) and drive at a speed which is safe and prudent for the driving conditions. Sometimes that's 70 MPH, sometimes that's 12 MPH. It must drive control freaks nuts.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It seems like the 55 mph limit on I-294 is the "suggested" speed limit. To get a speeding ticket one would have to drive faster than 70 mph and be weaving in and out of traffic.

Last spring I saw a lighted message board on I-294 just prior to a construction zone. The message read:

CONSTRUCT ZONE

SPEED LIMIT

55 MPH

This, even though the posted speed limit before and after the construction zone was 55 mph.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Best Construction Zone signs I've ever seen were in Texas.

ROAD CONSTRUCTION AHEAD

REDUCE SPEED TO 70 MPH

That, or they don't reduce the speed at all and they just double the fines for speeding in the Work Zone.

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Is there a different way to drive in Chicago?!?!? ::confused

There's only one way defensively! And it should be practiced everywhere.
Sad to say if you're ever traveling through Illinois take notice to the electronic billboards over the interstate where it tells you how many traffic deaths up to date. Last year 2012 ended around 950 plus or minus. This year it will go higher!