Spec'ing a Straight Truck for MPG

guido4475

Not a Member
I have a friend who has a converted tractor, tandem axles. I believe 44k gvwr. He can haul 18k lbs. In the 4 months he owned it, he only hauled one load over 10k lbs. So, in my opinion, at Load One it is not worth it to haul around and wear 4 extra wheels with their associated expenses for 3 extra loads a year.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I had a Sterling class 8 stretched with a 22 ft box on it. C15 6nz Caterpillar, 44 locking rears, 18k front axle, 400 gallon fuel capacity, 3 stage, 18 gauges, dual stacks, it was the wrong truck to make into a 10 wheeler. 28,500# empty. But, oh, how fun it was to drive. It would pass everything but a fuel pump. Triple digit truck without even breathing heavy.

Once in a great while I'd get a load the warranted the tandem axle, but not many. 07 the rates were going in the toilet, and I ended up selling it. Bought a van, and made more money with less hassles. Shoulda done the van thing a long time ago.

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What's funny, is FlyingVan saying he wished he'd moved to straights from vans a long time ago, and you saying you wished you'd moved to vans from straights a long time ago :p

Anyway 2 votes for heavy straight = not worth it for expedite. I basically wanted it cause I don't know how to place freight over an axle

Reactions: RoadTime

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I believe if you read between the lines you will find the reasons why. I don't want to put Guido down since I would have liked a truck like his. But I am running my business differently than he did. While it is nice to be the fastest truck on the road, that alone will not put money in your pocket, on the contrary, it costs you more money. Same with bling, it makes the truck look cool but no financial benefit at all.

I bought my truck for a ridiculous price, way less than I would have paid for a van, and I did my research to buy a truck that gets excellent fuel mileage. I will not win any beauty contests, nor any races, put slow and steady puts money in the bank. In the good times I bank as much money as I can and I can weather a downturn in the economy and keep chugging along.

In the end I run my business how I see fit, he runs his as he sees fit. Both of us are happy, so that is all that matters.

Reactions: dalscott

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I like the idea of tall gearing in an oversize motor like Roadtime suggested. Of course I'd have to invest some cash, when I could just buy a smaller straight truck and work with it right away

I also dislike the USA 11 hours, but it would give me lots of time to post here :p