Spec'ing a Straight Truck for MPG

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dipping my toe in the water. I freely admit I know absolutely nothing about anything larger than a van.

After lots of google searches, I find talk of large high torque motors + tall gears and direct drive. But those mpg (just under 12) match what I've heard the smallest straights under 26k are capable of

Can anyone share the perfect formula? And I'll accept old pre emission trucks, that's probably what I'd be going for, to reduce the risk of switching from a van. Regulation is also something I know nearly nothing about

Thanks

Reactions: SimpleTrucker.com

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Remove the visor above the windshield, +0.3-0.5mpg. Install Airtabs, +0.25-0.35mpg and much clearer rear visibility in wet driving. Can't remember the name of them but replace solid rubber mudflaps with hard slotted pvc type material flaps, +0.1-0.2mpg. Drive 62mph instead of 72mph, +0.60-0.75mpg. Drive as if you had an egg between your foot and the pedals.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since I don't have one, hoping for engine brand, size, year and straight box size, chassis, tires gears etc.

Mudflaps and visor I wouldn't have thought of :)

I used to have a set route of 500 miles per day + travel to / from the route once a week of 400 miles. I got 21 mpg from an E350 (7.3l) day in, day out, week in week out. As long as the weight didn't go over 2000 lbs, no difference. Replaced van at 1 million miles, identically specced van averaged 18.4, never could figure out if the difference was a running change in the motor that year, or ULSD coming in, but my wallet could tell the difference after 52 weeks

Being from Ontario the 62 mph is a given, speed limiter

Last edited:

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are lots of add-on modifications that can be done to improve fuel mileage and bring cost down depending on the truck/engine beyond what has already been mentioned. Depending on how involved you want to get, and how much you want to spend ;)

Other things that come to mind...

A good ECM engine tune, if available for specific truck.
Flow Below Aero Kit
Fleet air filters
Lower rolling resistance tires
OPS (Oil Purification System)

And the biggest factor already mentioned, drive slower ;)

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ty. Some stuff to google there. Weirdest thing I've come up with in searches is Dr Preload...wheel bearing preload, now there's an obscure idea

Still looking for the best mpg platform to start with.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ty. Some stuff to google there. Weirdest thing I've come up with in searches is Dr Preload...wheel bearing preload, now there's an obscure idea

Still looking for the best mpg platform to start with.

Yeah, that's the tuff part. I don't think there is a perfect general formula. Way to many factors to consider depending on each truck/engine/setup to give a general answer without zeroing in on a specific truck/engine/setup. And even then, there are numerous things beyond MPG that need to be considered.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have a 2004 Freightliner M2 106 with the MBE900 engine, 6.4 liter inline 6 cylinder, 280 hp, 6 speed manual transmission. I average a bit over 12 mpg. I do Canada so it is governed to 63mph.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a 2004 Freightliner M2 106 with the MBE900 engine, 6.4 liter inline 6 cylinder, 280 hp, 6 speed manual transmission. I average a bit over 12 mpg. I do Canada so it is governed to 63mph.

Thanks FlyingVan. Couldn't remember the engine size

Btw, your unit gets the best mpg ive ever heard in a straight...maybe its just driver skill?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks. I've been searching all day, seems like DD/cummins for top, then Cat, then MBE either is awesome (for at least 2 people) or they all explode

Trying to figure out how International spoiled the 444/466....saw a 2012 for $5000, electrical issues n no start

Which brings to mind: would your answer be different for pre emission?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My PLAN would be to buy a ratty old one, cash, and stand a chance even if i had to find a used engine. My emergency fund isn't big enough for a recent truck

Reactions: RoadTime

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Back at it.

Hino, or no hino?

A running example of a M2 106 with MBE900 seems to be rare locally

And what about heavy straights? I saw a Volvo today with 20k front axle and 44k rears...worth it to go heavy?

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Back at it.

Hino, or no hino?

And what about heavy straights? I saw a Volvo today with 20k front axle and 44k rears...worth it to go heavy?
I guess it depends on if you are going to haul heavy loads.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is there heavy loads (not flatbed) and are they worth it, and are they worth it enough to have a straight that costs more all the time

There ;)

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I mean, I could just jump in and buy whatever, but isn't that what EO is for?

All I know is I don't want to do FTL. Crazies taking a full trailer for less than I want in a cargo van...

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Back at it.

Hino, or no hino?

Depends a lot on what engine it has, miles, etc.
Personally, I favor the heavier straights 33K and over more then the under 26K ones.
Not a Hino or Volvo fan. Unless the Volvo has a series 60 engine ;)

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have a friend who has a converted tractor, tandem axles. I believe 44k gvwr. He can haul 18k lbs. In the 4 months he owned it, he only hauled one load over 10k lbs. So, in my opinion, at Load One it is not worth it to haul around and wear 4 extra wheels with their associated expenses for 3 extra loads a year.

Reactions: guido4475

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Btw, mine is 33k gvwr and I can legally haul 12k, but I am listed at 10k with Load One. Any load over 10k needs to be pushed all the way forward to avoid being overweight on the rear axle. That is impossible to do if the load has 10 unstackable pallets. 10k or under works for me, with the vast majority of my loads being under 5k.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's the type on info I'm looking for. Part of the reason I wanted a heavier spec, I don't know how to load a 5 ton for weight :p

2 20k axles = twice the chances ?