Specific frustrations with ELDs?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Electronic Logging Device providers/manufacturers must self-certify that the ELD meets the technical specifications of the ELD rule, is compliant and register their ELD with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
Devices that are not certified and registered with FMCSA must meet the definition of an On-board Automatic Recording Device or the requirements in part 395.8 in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.

The list of currently registered ELDs is shown here: Registered ELDs

Reactions: Greg

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Electronic Logging Device providers/manufacturers must self-certify that the ELD meets the technical specifications of the ELD rule, is compliant and register their ELD with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
Devices that are not certified and registered with FMCSA must meet the definition of an On-board Automatic Recording Device or the requirements in part 395.8 in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.

I wonder how old that list is as neither of the systems I've been looking at are listed but both claim they are.
By the way thanks for posting that list

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The list of currently registered ELDs is shown here: Registered ELDs[/QUOTE]

I wonder how old that list is as neither of the systems I've been looking at are listed but both claim they are.
By the way thanks for posting that list

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

That is a great link. Thanks terryandrene

tknight , Even if the device(s) that you are considering are not on the list, it (they) could be added at anytime. Also, it is a self-certifying list, it is not necessarily a list of devices that have been approved for use by FMCSA. It is just the manufacturers claiming that they meet the standards.

Side note: I noticed that Qualcomm/ OmniTracks was not on the list....yet.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
It is much easier to learn something and make mistakes before something has to be done correctly or there is repercussions. When the hours of service changed from 5 & 5 we started working on learning to drive for eleven hours and it was not easy. When we first started using a ELD we immediately saw the benefits for us as a team and once we got used to immediately changing our status and not forgetting we got along much better. With paper we could update our logs when we came back out of the truck stop with the ELD we have to change our status when we stop as it is much easier.

Much easier to get the ELD now learn the ins and outs and get comfortable with it before it becomes mandatory and also before they run out and you will have to sit and wait not being able to run till you have an ELD installed.

Reactions: Greg