Sort of newbie - questions

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
I'm not new to truck driving, done OTR and had a expediter truck back in '97. Went broke :p Actually did Ok at 1st, then GM plants went on mini strikes and lots of us sat. I had made the common mistake of leasing way more (as in expensive) truck than I needed and didn't have enough reserve funds to weather the doldrums. Oh well, live and learn.

Now, I'm looking for something to drive besides semi flatbed, and have a job offer from a expediter fleet owner. He currently has 3 trucks running, one nice empty one he's trying to find a team for to sign it on with FedEx and a older truck (small sleeper, no amenities like fridge or microwave, etc..) that he uses as a starter truck. If I sign on, do a couple 3 months and I decide I like working for him, and he has no issues with me, he'll move me into a bigger, better truck. His other drivers have done the same.

He pays 60/40 plus 100% fuel service charge. I'd pay fuel and tolls, he pays all other truck expenses

Home time isn't a big issue, as long as the miles are there and I'm making good money.

He says he'll give me his other driver's phone numbers, so I can talk to them, if I want (though not till we meet face to face, possibly tomorrow).

He's currently got all his trucks leased on with C&M Transport.

So, questions...

Is 60/40 with fsc the norm?

Anyone know anything about C&M

Is this a good or bad time to get into this?

Thanks.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
60-40 fair deal for you and for the owner
C&M it's a good company
Good or bad time?Who knows.....

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
Went and met the truck owner, face to face. We hit it off well, he seems pretty squared away. He gave me his other driver's phone numbers and told me I could call them, find out how they have been doing. Talked to 2 of his 3 solo guys and his team. The more experienced solo driver and the team said that over the winter was slower than usual, but things have picked up in the past 4 to 6 weeks. The 2nd solo driver is new at this, only on 4 weeks, but he's been doing good and said the other drivers have really helped him with questions and advice.

So I guess I'll be heading out there to see what happens.

Nice thing is the owner has gotten tired of waiting for Fed Ex to find a team for his newest truck, so he's putting it in service as a solo. It's on a Sterling chassis, I'm going to drive it up to Ohio and swap it for the skightly older FL70 that his senior driver has.

Owner has also bought a tractor, wants me to explore putting that on with someone. So I may end up back in a semi again.

So we'll see what happens.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Best of luck to you! Sounds like you have found yourself a great way into the expediting industry without much risk.

To me, it's a good sign he was willing to give you his other drivers' numbers and encouraged you to call them.

When you say, 'as long as .... I'm making good money'.. keyword=good.. 'good' means different things to different people. You seem to have a good pay set-up, do you know how C&M's rates are? Has the owner or other drivers given you an indication of what you could expect your gross earnings and deadhead to be like? I wonder if he'd be willing to show you some pay settlements (without the name showing?)? When he says 100% of the fsc, does C&M pay the owner 100%, or would you be getting 100% of the percentage the owner gets?

I don't recall hearing anything negative about C&M, but it's always a great idea to search the forums for info; if you do a search on "C&M Transport" and "C&M Trucking", or use the quotes with C&M and different words, you might come across some reading, hopefully positive!

When you were expediting before, were you signed on with a carrier or operating independently?

I know nothing about trucks whatsoever, that's husb's department, but man those Sterlings are good lookin!!!!!!!!

Anyway, good luck once again, and keep us posted!

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
Best of luck to you! Sounds like you have found yourself a great way into the expediting industry without much risk.

To me, it's a good sign he was willing to give you his other drivers' numbers and encouraged you to call them.

When you say, 'as long as .... I'm making good money'.. keyword=good.. 'good' means different things to different people. You seem to have a good pay set-up, do you know how C&M's rates are? Has the owner or other drivers given you an indication of what you could expect your gross earnings and deadhead to be like? I wonder if he'd be willing to show you some pay settlements (without the name showing?)? When he says 100% of the fsc, does C&M pay the owner 100%, or would you be getting 100% of the percentage the owner gets?

I don't recall hearing anything negative about C&M, but it's always a great idea to search the forums for info; if you do a search on "C&M Transport" and "C&M Trucking", or use the quotes with C&M and different words, you might come across some reading, hopefully positive!

When you were expediting before, were you signed on with a carrier or operating independently?

I know nothing about trucks whatsoever, that's husb's department, but man those Sterlings are good lookin!!!!!!!!

Anyway, good luck once again, and keep us posted!

Thank you. Regarding "good money", I need to take home at least what I what I was at my last job, about $350 a week, plus what I need to live on per week, say another $100.00 to be on the extravagant side. So $450 net would be Ok. Anything over that will be a plus.

C&M pays $1.25 per mile and charges 25% of total load pay for FSC. So a 500 mile run will pay $625.00 plus $156.25 FSC. I get $375. (60% of $625.) plus the $156.25 for a total of $531.25. If I can get 10 mpg, the run will use 50 gal. of fuel. Say about $210.00. So my take will be 311.25 before taxes. About $.62 per mile. That's anywhere from 1.5 to 2 times what I can make as a company driver for a regular OTR trucking company.

So if I can get a minimum of 1000 miles per week, I'm good. Anything above that is gravy :))

I've talked to his 2 other solo drivers, both are doing very well, averaging about $1000 net to them per week. The senior of the 2 has been has seen that since the owner 1st put the truck on with C&M last Sept. The newer driver, on for only 4 weeks as of tomorrow, is also getting the same.

So I guess I'll give it a shot, and see what comes of it.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
C&M Is a good Company to be with, I know Calvin and he's a Straght up Kinda Guy..

R

rangell218

it depends on the truck and owner just got done with an owner that had trouble paying fuel (45% up front) and it was a pain in the ***, watch yourself and remember the prices of fuel good luck

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I know Broompilot did an extended stint with C&M as a solo. I believe TennesseeHawk did solo with them too but may have been team. They seem to be a very good company from all that I've heard. Your proposed split is probably the most common and is a fair one. If you run sensible speeds to keep your mpg up and minimize idling you'll make more than if you took the 40% side. Good luck.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Just 2 quick thoughts: one: if you were a 'company driver', you wouldn't pay for fuel, and two: if you're paying for tolls, get EZ pass, because you can easily whiz through almost $100 a week in tolls, with a few loads in & out of some areas. Not only does that take a big chunk of 'running money', but you'll pay less with the EZ pass, and not having to keep all the toll receipts (for taxes) is nice, too.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I'm currently with C&M, running team. They're keeping us busy. As a solo, be prepared to split longer runs.

Also, we've been told there's a hiring freeze on solo straights.

C&M has the best dispatch I've ever worked with. That doesn't mean I always get my way. Just that they're friendly and know the biz.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Please tell me you have a contract with this owner stating how much you will be paid,when you will paid, who takes care of what expenses from fuel and tolls to oil changes and truck washes, how long you need to stay out, how long you can go home, and what he wants you to do if you decided to quit like how long of a notice he wants you to give.

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
arkjarhead, sorry to read of your loss and other trials. Hope you are doing Ok.

No, there isn't a written contract. I have talked to his other three solo drivers, and his one team. All have told me that he hasn't lied or misled them on anything. And more importantly, for me, I have met him face to face. I'm trusting him, but he's also trusting me. Naive, perhaps, but a nice change for me.

Drivers pay fuel and tolls, he covers all else truck related. He keeps the trucks maintained and tries to get the scheduled maintenance done during real slow times (like early July) or during driver home time. He does direct deposit to bank of settlements every Friday and no driver said he has missed one yet.

I think the plus here is that the trucks are more of a sideline for him. He has a small manufacturing business that is his primary income. He buys good used trucks, and pays up front for them. No financing, no monthly payment. Does his own paperwork, so basically has minimal costs with the truck side of his business. I know, there's no guarantee regarding my job, but is there ever? And I've been lied to enough by big companies, so I guess I'll take my chances

Oh yeah, he'll also let me take one of my dogs out with me :D