Some Preliminary Thoughts on Garmin Nuvi465t

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
We upgraded from a Garmin c330 to a nuvi 465t GPS unit for trucks and have a few early observations after just one week.

There is a very annoying design flaw regarding the clock. You cannot specify your working timezone (aka "yard or terminal time") The unit wants to automatically change and display time based on where you are. There is an "automatic' on/off that will let you specify what time it is, but ETA arrival times are always based on local time at the destination. This requires me to remember to add time, how much time to add, and for that matter know the time zone for my destination in order to correctly compare the displayed arrival time with my scheduled "company time" ETA. This strikes me as a potential safety hazard as I'm doing mental math.

The synthesized electronic voice has all the character and charm of the FDCC automated dispatch and checkout systems. The old compiled real voice recordings were much easier to understand and friendly sounding.

Alerts are accompanied by a loud dinging tone and sometimes popup messages that require a screentouch to clear. Saw an alert yesterday for 'overhanging branch location' but there were no trees.

ETA also appears to be calculated based on the internal database of posted speedlimits. There is no provision (that I've seen so far) to base on average times. Slow downs for traffic, construction, etc. small town traffic lights etc. are not figured in and grind away at your ETA clock.

Generally satisfied, but find at least these things are not as I would prefer.

BTW, the Rand McNally system does seem to have a valuable feature in it for people who have to keep track of their own IFTA miles. I think it runs a log based on miles travelled in each state and it can be addressed by month or by year. If this is something you have to keep track of you might want to check into this unit.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I too went from a 330 to the 465. I got mine shortly after they came out. IMHO, it's a huge, steaming, odiferous pile of crap. I was out on Long Island Thursday. Instead of simply routing me 295 to 495, it wanted me to get off, then back on the xway. This thing is a huge disappointment from a company as respected as Garmin.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i upgrade to 465 i like and i don't
can't see where it is going to route you
didn't come with a manul have look on graming for it
how do you get a paper manul for this
also can't find out anything on garmin web site for 465

guido4475

Not a Member
I bought the Cobra 7700 Pro and love it except that mine also changes time zones instead of staying on eastern or whatever I want it set at.Other than that, it works fine.fromwhat I understand from the article in Truckers news, alot of the gps brands use the same routing hardware. Cobra uses a different one than most others. I cant remember who uses who,but it surprised me.

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
geo,if you touch the top line on the screen,it will show you where you are being routed from point a to point b.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I have this model and I just drive a Sprinter, but I like it so far. The time zone thing does get on my nerves at times, as well as it not having any leeway built into the ETA, but if you need that thing to tell you what time you're going to get there when you know the remaining miles, then you really don't know what you're doing in this line of work. Anyway, I have found this one to be an improvement over previous GPS units I have had simply because with having it in truck mode it keeps you on main highways more instead of all the side streets that most units want to send you down.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
CharlesD...I was going to say, if a driver can't figure out their arrive time they are in deep doo doo...:D

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have this model and I just drive a Sprinter, but I like it so far. The time zone thing does get on my nerves at times, as well as it not having any leeway built into the ETA, but if you need that thing to tell you what time you're going to get there when you know the remaining miles, then you really don't know what you're doing in this line of work. Anyway, I have found this one to be an improvement over previous GPS units I have had simply because with having it in truck mode it keeps you on main highways more instead of all the side streets that most units want to send you down.

Have you had yours very long? Mine's given me some really stupid routing, including dirt roads once. One of my favorite things about a GPS is the ETA. It's nice to just glance at the screen instead of doing the math in your head.

At this point, I wish I'd returned it. My hope is that the flaws will be addressed with updates. If they do that it wouldn't be a bad unit.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't trust any computer program by itself..I always double/triple check before setting out...I've been stung one too many times...by cliches...

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most of the time the lame routing isn't a problem. But, once in a while it's a go-go deal to make the pick on time and you just hope the GPS does a good job.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Have you had yours very long? Mine's given me some really stupid routing, including dirt roads once. One of my favorite things about a GPS is the ETA. It's nice to just glance at the screen instead of doing the math in your head.

At this point, I wish I'd returned it. My hope is that the flaws will be addressed with updates. If they do that it wouldn't be a bad unit.

I just haven't had any problems like that. I usually check routing with my atlas anyway. I usually check the ETA with my protect time and figure how much leeway I have, then I figure in time for fuel stops and rest. It hasn't given me any issues so far. I have for the most part liked the routing much better than the car Garmin I had before.