Solo's...how many miles do YOU get a week??

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
are you doing ok??
super well??
struggling??

I am struggling.... some of my solo driver pals are doing great.....
i work for a owner and doing the 60/40 thing... sometimes i feel im paying for 100% of the fuel..
my average miles a week.. around 800 / 1000 .. depends ... lately less
sometimes i have to take advances to DH .... so it comes out of my pay...
im at my wits end here.... and im tired of sitting......
i have a very strong work ethic... and awsome driving record.. soo i dont know what my problem is.. but im tired of struggling..... the stress is wearing on me.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
I am not doing to good lately. Seems it has slowed and even stopped at times. But I just keep thinking it will return and I will roll again. It si times like this that you have to call on your nestegg to survive. And thank goodness that I do plan for slow times. I can survive a slow period, but it is not fun sitting. Hang in there. At least we have a place where we can talk about it.

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was in the same boat you are in and it was sinking fast until I made up my mind and left the carrier you are with..a single driver has no chance there.
since I left in August of last year. never been this happy and on the days that I do not get a load I get paid 75.00 to sit....its time to look at another company

Last edited:

turritrans

Expert Expediter
It's tough right now

Rates are depressed, load count is down for everyone. But this time was slow last year too. And fuel is the real killer.

This is just a slow time of year. Grass isn't always greener somewhere else, everyone gets antsy when this happens, but we are all in the same boat.

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I was in the same boat you are in and it was sinking fast until I made up my mind and left the carrier you are with..a single driver has no chance there.
since I left in August of last year. never been this happy and on the days that I do not get a load I get paid 75.00 to sit....its time to look at another company

ha.. i remember swaping a load with you....... that was ahhhhhh a yr ago?? or more?? i forget. lol
i been thinking of quiting ...... but how can i trust a owner who is honest? somewhere else??

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It's tough right now

Rates are depressed, load count is down for everyone. But this time was slow last year too. And fuel is the real killer.

This is just a slow time of year. Grass isn't always greener somewhere else, everyone gets antsy when this happens, but we are all in the same boat.

i been struggling for a while now...... not just this time of yr..

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
MorningStar;

I had sent you a PM in the past on this issue.

Currently at Premium Transportation Logistics, our solo straight trucks are at around 1721 paid miles per week, and are at $1.49 per loaded mile with fuel surchage added in. We treat our Owner Operators as true independent contractors, allowing them to be in service, take themselves out of service, accept and decline loads as they see fit.

We are geared towards the solo driver, always have been. Owner operator turnover still below 20%. We are ready to add more straight trucks and tractors at this time.

Click on our banner on the EO homepage for additional info.

Thanks,

HotFr8Recruiter

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I think a solo ST will do better with a smaller carrier, than with one of the big boys in most cases. I personally am staying busy.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I am in a tractor but they are running my wheels off i was off last week from friday the week before to last thursday and i still racked up right at 1000 miles
this week i am only running 2 loads { going scuba diving in FL} and ill have 898 miles. both were short weeks because i had something to do * most weeks i am around 800+ loaded miles and i am an all miles truck

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Solos are always going to feel the pinch at a large carrier if things slow down. If you don't do hazmat or go to Canada, you will get pinched a little more in a straight.
I would move to a smaller carrier or know how to book your own freight.
I also wouldn't rule out just getting your own authority. A little more work, but the rewards are there.

Last edited:

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Solos are always going to feel the pinch at a large carrier if things slow down. If you don't do hazmat or go to Canada, you will get pinched a little more in a straight.
I would move to a smaller carrier or know how to book your own freight.
I also wouldn't rule out just getting your own authority. A little more work, but the rewards are there.

Going to Canada is a huge plus for me, I'm of the few ST with my carrier that will do. It keeps me rolling with good paying loads.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That is true. There are too many that "don't wanna".
I know a few that are making a killing doing short hops back and forth acrossed the border and they are at large carriers.

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I do go to canada....
i do not own my own truck..... i drive for a owner
i live in buffalo NY .. going to canada is no problem for me.
my acceptance rate runs about 98%

Last edited:

turritrans

Expert Expediter
Electronic logs make it tough for single drivers for sure.

The most successful drivers with the Cats seem to be teams...

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Electronic logs make it tough for single drivers for sure.

The most successful drivers with the Cats seem to be teams...

That is true. Quite a bit more opportunities especially outside the standard expedite.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
expedite has always been a highpay low mileage system,but most loads with the dead head added in,need a team to deliver on time.When business is slow,most companies cater to the teams,so they don't loose them.If you need to stay solo,your going to have to do business out of the box.Start hauling more non expedite loads.By the way,if your on 60 /40,you getting the 60 and fuel surcharge,you are paying 100% of the fuel,thats why your getting the fuel surcharge
my new truck is 2 and half weeks has now 9800 miles,and I'm doing 1.41 all miles,loaded and empty,you dont have to be in expediting to make it as an owner opp,but your limited with a S T
hope things get better for you

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
MorningStar-

I would call these guys in a heartbeat. Ya can trust em. Good people. Good dispatch if it's the same group that I worked w/.

I'm not getting paid by em or anything. I haven't talked to John in 2 years or so. And that was socially, not work related. I've just worked for em in the past when the same group ran a different company.

Of anyone I've ever dealt w/ in expedite, I would say this is easily the most honest company.

Good luck to ya,
Danny

MorningStar;

I had sent you a PM in the past on this issue.

Currently at Premium Transportation Logistics, our solo straight trucks are at around 1721 paid miles per week, and are at $1.49 per loaded mile with fuel surchage added in. We treat our Owner Operators as true independent contractors, allowing them to be in service, take themselves out of service, accept and decline loads as they see fit.

We are geared towards the solo driver, always have been. Owner operator turnover still below 20%. We are ready to add more straight trucks and tractors at this time.

Click on our banner on the EO homepage for additional info.

Thanks,

HotFr8Recruiter

bigshow345

Seasoned Expediter
I hate working for carriers thus why I fly my own flag. I also hate hauling loads for Panther and Fedex customs critical. They are slow to pay. A sales rep from panther called my wife last week to haul a car. Pay was nice, just had to wait a really really long time to get the money.

Dont rule out getting your own authority. Its expensive but well worth the expense. Fedex cc and Panther will sometimes use other trucking companies to haul their stuff when they dont have the right sized equipment to haul it.