Solo Straight Truck O\O Profitable?

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I'm posting this here because I feel there may be others new? to the business who are also wondering. My question is, since there are members on this site driving solo for an owner, why would they drive for a percentage if they are not making a living?. In which case why couldn't a solo in their own rig with the proper capital make a living?.:rolleyes:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
To answer the first question, I am making a living. But it may be that my needs are less than others' may be, along with a host of other factors.
Being sufficiently capitalized is just the starting point, not the whole shebang - one needs business savvy and financial discipline and knowledge of trucks & maintenance/repairs, taxes, insurance - the list goes on.
There's a lot more involved than just taking a large chunk of change, buying a truck, and hitting the road.
When I was the O/O, I sucked, but as a driver for an owner, I am doing much better.:)

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
I'm also driving solo for an owner. A few yrs ago, when the rates where higher, I might have considered getting my own truck. But, with the rates as they are now, and the economy, I am happy getting .45/mile with no expenses.
However, if I were single, I might take a chance. Having a truck payment and a family to support, the numbers don't add up for me.