Solo Straight Truck Drivers

subzero89

Seasoned Expediter
I was wondering if any of you other solo straight truck drivers are running into problems with companies expecting you to violate your HOS regulations. Stay away KM Logistics. They bid you out as a "team" when you are solo and then demand you violate your HOS, otherwise they tell you that you were late on the delivery and pay you NOTHING. Be careful getting any loads from this company if you have to fall under the HOS rule. They even tell you that YOU said you were a team in an effort to not pay you.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Not to rag on Subzero, but I'm wondering how one could be unaware of the carrier's [illegal] practices before agreeing to work with them.
And how can they hope to prove you told them you're a team, when your log lists only your name, with 'na' in place of a codriver?
Rotten apples, they sound like.

subzero89

Seasoned Expediter
At one time when I first started with them, I was driving a sprinter. I switched to a large straight about a year ago and made sure they were aware of it. The first couple loads in my straight were in the 300-500 mile range which I could obviously do within my HOS. The last two are the ones that they claim were late and refused to pay because after 20 months, now I "magically" become a team. I did not even know about it until my factoring company informed me they refused to pay the loads and when I called, they now claim I said I was a team. I think it is a way any company can refuse to pay you as a solo driver by booking you as a team and then demanding you violate your HOS or you will not be paid. Just wondering if any of you have ever heard or dealt with this scheme before? Thanks Guys!

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Report them

Don't even worry about that.......

They are about to put themselves out of Business.........

Every single Inspection they've had over the last year - year 1/2, they have been cited for Log Book Violations and Fatigued Driving.

(Click on the "Report" Links in Blue under Report #)

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration: SMS - Safety Measurement System - Generic Error Page

Violations for Unsafe Driving

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration: SMS - Safety Measurement System - Generic Error Page

Vehicle Maintenance Violations

And get this......

One of their Drivers was put OOS for a Possible DUI Violation

One of the Best "Warnings" to pop up on this board for a while........

At least this one has some merit to it.....and not some "Personal" Vendetta as many have when complaining about certain carriers.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I believe the legal term is called unjust enrichment which means if the company was paid they have to pay you. There might be a small fee if you were late because it was your fault but according to what you are saying that is not the case here. I would push them for payment and if they refuse it might be worth filing in small claims court or just paying a lawyer to send a letter seeking payment. I wouldn't go into the hole to deep to collect the money because they might be on the verge of bankruptcy. I would like to thank you for not violating the HOS because you only hurt other drivers and yourself by giving the FMCSA more ammo.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

subzero89

Seasoned Expediter
Yeah Brisco, you are so right. I checked that myself and cannot believe the violations this company has in regard to fatigued driving and log book violations. Thanks for the info. I just found this link.

Carrier Overview

boonsdad

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Those SMS scores dont seem to mean squat. I know of one expedite company that has had much higher scores than that since the beginning of SMS and they are still hauling DOD loads.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Must be dealing with Moony! You a Milwaukee local? There are better company's just 2 miles away from them.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
You have to stand and make sure your not being run illegally, its YOUR score that matters also, the carrier may put them selves out of business but if your personal record is clean youll be fine, dont fall into the its just a few hours, its just a few miles, its a HOT LOAD, a special load, etc etc etc...stand your ground, if they start messing with you find a new carrier and send a short letter to the DOT about your concerns. There are plenty of dispatchers out there who think its still the old days when you can color in your coloring book, have three log books etc....DONT DO IT !!!

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Don't Snitch where I come from snitches get stitches If they are wrong it will come back on them soon enough without snitching

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't Snitch where I come from snitches get stitches If they are wrong it will come back on them soon enough without snitching

The "Code of Silence" is one reason why it's safer in Afghanistan right now than it is in some Chicago neighborhoods. A shooting takes place, people know who did it but nobody will talk. So, crimes go unsolved and the body count goes up. Further, I've seen situations where speaking up actually saved life rather than getting it terminated. A blackmailer depends on your terror. Once the truth is out, the blackmailer loses the only hold he has on you.

The OP is about a trucking company that routinely tries to make its drivers violate HOS. Sooner or later that will come back on them, but why wait until somebody gets killed for that to happen? Report them.

I drive a van, so HOS and logging doesn't affect me. However, I still have a human body and it gets tired. Driving while tired, law or no law, is asking for trouble.

Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm wondering why Sub took the load in the first place. If you can't make the delivery time, just say no.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm wondering why Sub took the load in the first place. If you can't make the delivery time, just say no.

You have a point. Generally, the number of miles involved will give you a heads-up. Figure 50 miles an hour, one side or the other, and it's not too hard.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Woke up this morning to A K&M truck right next to me So I asked the driver if he has had these problems he said no I showed him this post and said he or his broyher who drivs for this company never had such problems. Could it be A different K&M? this one was out of Waterford MI.