Solar generator

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It takes 16-20 hours to recharge when plugged into a household AC outlet, and takes 30-40 hours of direct sunlight via two 30W solar panels. The solar generator weighs 116 pounds, with about 90 of those being the 100 Amp Hour AGM battery. Additional AGM batteries can be chained to increase the Ah capacity (and the charging time). Best if you use at least 120 Watts of solar panels (four of the 30W panels) or 250 Watt panels (but now you're into big bucks). The max charging input current, though, is 10 amps, even when charging on household current (which is retarded for an AGM battery).

The 4-day fridge thing is accurate, but that's discharging the battery dead, and will dramatically decrease the battery's lifespan and capacity. It'll run a fridge for 4 days for few times, then it will quickly become 3 days, then 2 days, then only a few hours.

It's excellent for emergency and occasional use (camping a few times a year) but a 100Ah battery just isn't enough capacity for continuous duty use, even with the solar panels permanently connected and pointed at the moving sun, unless your amp draw is considerably less than a fridge.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I was going to try the Solar deal but like Turtle says the costs just don't ad up. What I did is equip my trucks with battery maintainers and shore power. They plug them up when their off and never a problem.

TropixBum

Active Expediter
Building your own panels are not that hard to do and saves a lot of $$$$. Many illustrations online walk you right through it. Go on eBay and get solar cells for a decent price. Especially if they have slight or small blemishes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2