Solar generator for CVers

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't know how long it would take to recharge this via the solar cells. May not be do-able. But the zero fumes, zero noise part sure looks attractive.
Zero Emissions Rechargeable Electric Generator

Interesting Option for power.

(Solar Kit includes two 30 Watt mono crystalline solar panels to charge generator. Solar panels will fully charge generator in 30 hours of direct sunlight. Includes 8 foot charging cable so you can leave unit running inside and have solar panels outside collecting power.)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Interesting Option for power.

(Solar Kit includes two 30 Watt mono crystalline solar panels to charge generator. Solar panels will fully charge generator in 30 hours of direct sunlight. Includes 8 foot charging cable so you can leave unit running inside and have solar panels outside collecting power.)

.30 hrs of direct sunlight?....good luck on that one in the winter time...it'll take you 4 days to get 30 hrs....
103 Lbs not counting the panels....

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It appears to be a battery (batteries), an a.c. powered charger and an inverter all in a cool looking, convenient package. It probably works okay for what it is billed as, and emergency power source for the home. I can't see it being cost effective or practical for a van or a truck though. Why not just add a couple of deep cycle auxiliary batteries, an inverter, a battery isolator and charge your batteries while running down the road?

Reactions: in-Transit

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Nice find...looks pretty interesting.

"AC wall charger refreshes unit in 16 hours." Theoretically, one could charge this from either house batteries or starting battery (via inverter) while running down the road, then have a fully charged gen while sitting.

Would love to see some end-user reviews.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It appears to be a battery (batteries), an a.c. powered charger and an inverter all in a cool looking, convenient package. It probably works okay for what it is billed as, and emergency power source for the home. I can't see it being cost effective or practical for a van or a truck though. Why not just add a couple of deep cycle auxiliary batteries, an inverter, a battery isolator and charge your batteries while running down the road?

why not charge this off the house batteries while running?...forget the solar part...100 lbs of battery as opposed to 300 lbs of deep cell?>>>

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
why not charge this off the house batteries while running?...forget the solar part...100 lbs of battery as opposed to 300 lbs of deep cell?>>>

How many batteries do you have? :confused: These batteries by Trojan are good batteries, two would be plenty, which is what I have, and each weigh 66# for a total of 132#

21cExp

Veteran Expediter

If charging off house batts while running, it would be the 103lbs of the gen plus the weight of the house bank. If charging just off the starting battery, it would be as opposed to the weight of house batts.

I could see having both the gen and house batts--if you have the room--for those times you sit for days or are on vaca and use your wheels as base for camping. 1250w, though, how long would that run a small window AC?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know nothing about ESPAR batteries but 77# seems heavy. What is the storage capacity of that battery?
It is not just an espar battery...its just a deep cell that Thermo King sells....

I am far from a battery techie..I just know it works for what I need it for and never a problem yet...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is not just an espar battery...its just a deep cell that Thermo King sells....

I know nothing about there either. The actual battery I have is a Deka Marine Master. 225 amp capacity at 23AMP draw. It weighs 59# Not a bad battery but I think the Trojan is a better battery. Turtle knows more on this. I bought the Deka because a store close to the house had them.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Calling this device a "generator" is a misnomer. It generates nothing, well maybe profit for the manufacturer and retail seller. It stores energy, it is a battery. I can see its practical use for home emergency power or for tailgating etc. To me it would be a waste of money to take on the road expediting.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Calling this device a "generator" is a misnomer. It generates nothing, well maybe profit for the manufacturer and retail seller. It stores energy, it is a battery. I can see its practical use for home emergency power or for tailgating etc. To me it would be a waste of money to take on the road expediting.

You appear correct Moot...it stores power....you either have to charge it via AC outlet or recharge it VIA solar panels....it produces nothing really..at 103 lbs it is just one heavy battery!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You appear correct Moot...it stores power....you either have to charge it via AC outlet or recharge it VIA solar panels....it produces nothing really..at 103 lbs it is just one heavy battery!!

The add did not give any real measure of storage capacity that I saw. Another red flag in my book.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
..at 103 lbs it is just one heavy battery!!
It is more than just a battery. It also contains a battery charger, an inverter and a way cool control panel. For $1400 one could also buy a couple of real deep cycle batteries, a battery monitor, inverter and a battery isolator and have it professionally installed with money left over. I'm sure it is practical for home use where it can be easily recharged. Especially if you live in an area prone to power outages and are reliant on an electrical medical device to survive. On the road for expediting, not so practical or cost effective.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They are odyssey batteries. True deep cycle good battery.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

Yep, Odyssey makes a very good battery. Too much money for my tastes and those batteries I have are doing the job without a problem. It depends on personal choice and how each truck operates.