So you bought a GPS?

MCBuggyCo

Seasoned Expediter
So you finally gave in and bought a GPS. Your instinct is to hook that baby up and go somewhere, anywhere. Don't, not just yet. There are a few things you can do to make your experience much more positive.
1. Register online with the manufacturer of your unit. This allows you to receive map updates if they are available.
2, Read the manual (or at least look at the pictures). This is most important if your unit has lots of added features.
3. Load up the POI (points of interest). I found a good source at POI Factory | new & interesting places for your GPS I have added such lists as a combined list of all rest stops, all McDonalds, numerous truck stop chains, and all WalMart/Sam's locations, to name a few.
These simple steps will help you get the most from your GPS.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I have the Garmen downloadable version for my laptop and i love it. I for sure like the full 17 inch screen view. I agree about registering the setup t get the updates, but!! I shut the POI off the day i installed it. All of those little Icons were just clutter and If i want to find a truckstop or anyplace , I simply google the place or name and get the address, punch it in and use the map.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
That is good advice, MCBuggyCo. We just got our hands on a new Garmin 750 this weekend. While we got it to work early on by pushing a few buttons and taking it on a drive, it will take some time to fully learn and master it. That POI link is appreciated. Thank you.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I have a Garmin in my lap top,but also a Streets and Trips,which I like much better,(both have external antennas),feel latter is easier to navigate thru.But what I really like is the GPS in my Instinct phone,from Sprint.I dont use a GPS for routing,just for local directions.To many times the company directions are unclear to the pick up or delivery locations.Most of the cell phone companies charge about 10 bucks a month for this service,mine is included with my plan.

Last edited:

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i really like the poi feature. it usually can get me to a grocery store easily. on the road if you ask it for coffee it will invariably point you back the other way(the bain of being solo. not enough time to stop and look ahead). what i find odd is i have not been able to locate a post office or a church. maybe on the disc for 80 bucks. it a magellan maestro 4040.

i also add to favorites any place that cannot be found with the address. i go in thru the direction indicator. this brings me to the gps numbers location and then i save which takes me to edit and give it a name. one such place was bmw in greer. i could get an address for south whatever street but not north.

gotta remember to back it up. i may go out and buy another san disk 1.0 for that purpose. memory is cheap enough.

Last edited: