Snow Chains

Finn777

Expert Expediter
I know it is early yet but does anybody know how many chains required for a truck with tag axle and where are they to be placed on which tires etc..
Also one more question does anybody know what is involved in Transporting and securing an automobile (exotic,antique,)had an offer the other day to transport one but could not take it as had never done one before.

dukesadog

Expert Expediter
I'm not sure about a straight truck but on my old set up ( tractor trailer it was double chains (both tires on each axle) on both drive axles and single chains on the last set of trailer tires.

I have seen some guys who run Oregon and Eastern Washington with chains on the steer axle too but I never ran the chains on my steer axle.

hope that helps some

dukesadog

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Different States have different rules,best to contact the States Dot that you are interested in. I carry a set,have never put them on and don't plan on learning how. If you need to put chains on,best to stop unless it's a real emergency. I run a 6 wheeler and was told by the California DOT that only the 2 outside rear wheels needed chains.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I may buy a set before this winter but don't plan on using them. I agree that if they are needed it's time to park. I'm also considering the automatic chains. They're expensive but I think would be worth it to not have to be outside on the ground for who knows how long messing with manual chains.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

jackdixon_2000

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
In Calif under minimum conditions you can get by with 2 chains on a straight truck but under maxixmum you need 4 on the drivers.

As far as saying "if its bad enough to chain I am parking it"
Out here the passes sometimes ice up for over a week. I have often taken 30 min to chain up in the sunshine to run 20 miles over the pass. Its that or wait for days or divert hundreds of miles

I put the Onspot automatic chains on my truck last Novemeber. I don't look at them as ever paying for themselves, but if you have $1500 to spare for a neat lil convenience they are cool

I only hit chain control 3 times last winter but it had me grinning and made my day. On all three occasions I wait until I get right up to the checkpoint then flip the switch and they deploy. (just wet bare pavement at that point) After clearing I pull them back up and wait till I really need them. All 3 times I never had to put them back down. I had a total of 1/4 mile of actual running on them.

Where the real peace of mind is is when climbing more obscure passes and getting caught by surprise by a weather system moving in. Or how about when you are asked to back down into a dock in the ice and snow?
(Had to have another truck pull me out of a dock in Philly a couple years ago)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The latest issue of Landline (ooida mag) October 2005 edition has a section of state by state chain law update.

Davekc

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>I put the Onspot automatic chains on my truck last
>Novemeber. I don't look at them as ever paying for
>themselves, but if you have $1500 to spare for a neat lil
>convenience they are cool

I don't think they'll truly pay for themselves however to be able to do as you say and put them down as needed is worth a premium. Along with that is the time savings of flipping a switch versus spending an hour out on the ground chaining 4 wheels and another hour unchaining them. Factoring all that in a few times per winter may make them pay for themselves after all.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Ok we are sold on automatic tire chains!! Now where do find them? We have several times had to stop and put chains on when they are not needed but the signs are still lit saying they are required.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That would be www.onspot.com but CAUTION, do not attempt to view it in IE. It will lock up your system. It works fine in Netscape but something is wrong with it in IE.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the info Leo. That site has a lot of info and yes the site does cause problems. I have our local person looking at the site to see if they can install the chains for us. It was mentioned that it might help you out if you where in a dock that was icy, but after reading about the chains I am under the impression you have to be moving before the chains will actualy work. Is that how you understand them? We are sure looking forward to getting them installed and not having the hassle of chaining when chains are not needed.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In a dock situation you get the tires rolling 3-5 mph and then engage the chains, per their rep. for my area. That would be when I'd be most interested in them as I've gotten into a couple docks that had inclined ramps and had a tough time getting out.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'll leave it to readers to decide if this is a good idea or not, but it struck me as clever if nothing else.

A driver (don't remember who or in what forum) once posted that he carries two short lengths of chain and a nut and bolt for each. If stuck in a sunken and slippery loading dock or in the mud, he'll loop the chain through each drive wheel and close the loop with the nut and bolt. Once out, he unfastens the chain and is on his way.

dukesadog

Expert Expediter
I just read something I think it was in land line where those automatic chains arent legal everywhere.

dukesadog