slow start to the week.......

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Depends on where you're at and who you're with. It's slower than molasses in TX, but they couldn't keep us in NYC.

randy123

Expert Expediter
romulus mi, does N.L.M post loads at night and on the weekend. these guys do not work at night or sat and sun........

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Romulus is good for freight. I live in Dearborn Hts, and I don't expect to be waiting more than a couple hours before we have a load tomorrow.

targuard86

Expert Expediter
Best week my FedEx trucks have had since before Christmas. Alot depends on luck for a specific truck to have a good or bad week. A company can be having a very bad week, month, quarter or year and a single truck in the fleet can be doing great.

Hang in there and give your comapany a month or two then see how you've done against other drivers from other companies.

Pappy

Expert Expediter
As a general rule, the entire trucking industry slows down in February. Why: Its tax time and inventory time for companies. Companies like to keep inventory as low as possible at this time of year to avoid paying what is commonly referred to as FLOOR TAX on goods that are just sitting in their warehouses. March and April will be better when companies start ordering more goods to replinish their currently low inventories

Pappy
35 years OTR T/T :)

randy123

Expert Expediter
well i hope you guys are right....its friday at 2.45 and i have had one 70 mile run this week... randy

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
well i hope you guys are right....its friday at 2.45 and i have had one 70 mile run this week... randy

If that continues you should consider selling sandwiches out of your van. A 70 mile run out of Detroit for the week is pretty questionable.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

randy123

Expert Expediter
well all the van drivers were sitting in the office today, thay were bidding on loads but nlm did not award them any except one strait truck load and i was their till 2.00 after i left i have no idea what was done.... we have landstar in the same office and my buddy john did not get a load till this morning. maby these guys ##### somebody off i dont know but thay dont get the work thay did a week ago....randy

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Not sure as many factors go into the bid. Alot would depend on your company's rating. NLM awards loads on a point system. The lowest price bid doesn't necessarily mean you are awarded the load. Coverage, on time, bid placement on all loads & time, ect make a difference.
More information is certainly needed to determine why they aren't awarded any freight. Load boards are pages deep with available freight out of Detroit and Windsor.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

randy123

Expert Expediter
thay say their a tier one company.... i do not know... i know its like someone shut the door on them. i have never been late, i dont know about the others. i also watch the landstar driver and he sets as much as i do...he only had one load this week.......randy ps i am talking about cargo vans.

randy123

Expert Expediter
where do i find these load boards???? is that where thay bid??? i was watching today and very little loads to bid on....mostly strait truck stuff... are these boards on at night??? weekends??? sorry for being a newbie but i have spent a ton of cash to get this off the ground and now i just sit....

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Randy, EGL is not the place to be for you if you want to run Expedited loads around the country. Thier business model does not include getting you the second load let alone the third. They will hope you run these loads for them but will put very little effort into keeping you loaded once you are outside of thier area. As I have said in the past the only way to run for EGL is to do what they do best. EGL is an Air Freight Company not an expedite company, mostly the only loads you will see from them going out of the area are for thier customers who need a hot load taken somewhere, once you get there it WILL be on YOU to get back to THIER area. If you try to make a living running over the road with EGL you will be out of money before long.

I tried to say it a different way a couple of months ago, sorry for being so blunt but I am trying to help. If you stay at EGL and want to make money run thier local freight, and then sometimes on the week-end run the hot load to Texas or something, but remember you will come back empty.

The other Stations will never give you a load because they have drivers who want to take the loads every once in awhile just to get out of town for a few days. The only load that I was ever offered from another station was 22 skids from Houston to Columbus, Ohio for the grand total of ..........Drum roll inserted here $32.00. The station managers will tell you that they will give you a priority but the operations managers will not.

If you would like you can call me, just e-m me and I will give you my cell #.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Case in point Randy, the last run you did was if I remember correctly 70 miles, How many miles from the time they called you with the load offer untill your next load offer. My guess would be somewhere around 140 miles or a little bit more when you consider driving to and from the station from home. Now divide that into the total pay.

Or take your last ten runs and figure your deadhead percentage, if you did not leave the midwest and go out of what is considered the good freight zone for expediting, are you close to 50% if so you are well above the average. We are running in the 15 to 17 percent range most of the time and that includes going home. While I was with EGL I was closer to 55% because I included all miles driven.

randy123

Expert Expediter
i know the eagle you are talking about thats (egl) i work for eagle logistics (exge) i was running good was out most of the week, and i have got loads back.... the eagle you are talking about have white trucks with blue egl on them.. we just have cargo vans and a sprinter and one strait truck randy

tom tinker

Expert Expediter
Hi Expediters I know this is no news flash, I see some of you are in Michigan. The news Friday Couple from Greenville One worked for Electrolux other another company closeing. Sick of this. Who will there be left to hual for?? I think Goverment should get taxes from overseas
to support Washington D.C. Not much tax coming from Mi.
STEAMED UP !!!!!
World monitary system all 3 rd. world an U.S.A.
Tom Tinker:-(