Slow down and save

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I started I was doing 70mph. I knew going to 60 to 65mph would help. Man it was hard to do. Once I got use to doing 65 it was no problem.

It really is a learned behavior and not easy to do. But the rewards are there, and less stress being one of the greatest.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
And easier to type at 55 ?
LOL ... I pretty much try to avoid doing that sort of stupidity ...

I don't really know if it's actually easier to type at 55 ... but I'm pretty sure it's a whole easier to stay alive by avoiding typing altogether while driving ...

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have no set speed as sometimes it makes sense to speed up if we can unload early and be ready for another load, to get to a safe place to stop for the 1/2 break, or a safe place to switch drivers.

Normally though 58 mph get us the best fuel mileage and has us relaxed at the end of the day.

One thing to remember is that there is no set rules.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
SPEED is a relevant thing but if your going to slow your actually an impediment to traffic and a hazard, if you go to fast your risk tickets and buring more fuel. In my truck I can run 68 all day long and get over 10MPG with a standard load of parts that weighs under 4000 lbs...now start adding weight, WIND, stop and go city rush hour and all this changes.

I think the best speed is the safest speed you can effectively maintain for the longest average time...changing speed, mashing the gas for wind, or hills or passing all the time, gonna use fuel...

I always try to fit "INTO" traffic, go with the flow, use a TT for a wind break...whatever will give me the edge and save fuel. But some days you must use the HYPERSPACE FREIGHT button and go 73...

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hate it when people try to draft too closely behind my TT trying to save their fuel and probably causing mine to burn more.

Sent from my C811 4G using EO Forums mobile app

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
SPEED is a relevant thing but if your going to slow your actually an impediment to traffic and a hazard, if you go to fast your risk tickets and buring more fuel. In my truck I can run 68 all day long and get over 10MPG with a standard load of parts that weighs under 4000 lbs...now start adding weight, WIND, stop and go city rush hour and all this changes.

I think the best speed is the safest speed you can effectively maintain for the longest average time...changing speed, mashing the gas for wind, or hills or passing all the time, gonna use fuel...

I always try to fit "INTO" traffic, go with the flow, use a TT for a wind break...whatever will give me the edge and save fuel. But some days you must use the HYPERSPACE FREIGHT button and go 73...

Very dangerous,it's called following to close!

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Well I drove about 62 lastnite wow amazing how much less fuel I used usually I do 65 and am over hour early for my delivery think will do this more often lol

Sent from my SPH-L520 using EO Forums mobile app

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
It really is a learned behavior and not easy to do. But the rewards are there, and less stress being one of the greatest.

You are right. It is not something easy, but Katrina made it easier for me. When fuel went to $5 a gallon it was very easy to slow down. Easy enough that I kept it down even when the fuel went down.

Think about it. The difference between 22 and 26 mpg is 100 more miles on a 26 gal tank. That is 100 miles that don't cost me any extra.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2