SLING BOX

FAMOUS AMOS

Expert Expediter
HUBBY AND I PURCHASED A "SLING BOX". YOU CONNECT IT TO YOUR HOME TV AND DOWNLOAD THE SOFTWARE INTO YOUR LAPTOP AND CAN WATCH YOUR CABLE,SATELLITE OR WHATEVER YOU MAY HAVE, FROM ANYWHERE OUT ON THE ROAD(AS LONG AS YOU HAVE AN INTERNET SIGNAL).

I WAS SKEPTICAL ABOUT THIS AT FIRST BUT IT REALLY WORKS!! THE SCREEN WILL SHOW YOU A LIL REMOTE CONTROL TO CHANGE YOUR CHANNELS. NOW I'M WORKING ON TRANSFERRING IT (BY A CABLE) TO THE 20" TV IN THE TRUCK

CAN BE PURCHASED AT BEST BUY FOR $199...ONE TIME FEE... NEVER A MONTHLY PAYMENT. OF COURSE WE GOT OURS FOR A LIL MORE FROM INTERSTATE CONNECTIONS (THEN FOUND OUT WE SPENT TOO MUCH) OH WELL! IT REALLY WORKS AND WE LOVE IT!!:) :)

http://tinyurl.com/n8qqz

edited to put in tinyurl

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
This looks like an interesting setup. I imagine the recieving computer has to have quite the active memory to run this. I suppose it would work on the same principles as streaming video from an internet site.

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
Yup, is a pretty cool contraption. Just have to make sure your internet at home is broadband to send out the signal. Also have to make sure the computer your using to view it has a pretty quick signal. Now people with verizon cards have to lookout because you have a limit to the amount you can download per month and if you run over and use too much bandwith they can cut your subscription. Sprint doesnt have the limit.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I may have to put this on Santa's short list. My current future son in law has a degree in computers so he could set it up for me the next time he's over. The kit they sell that uses household wiring to connect to the home network is cool too for when there isn't a network connection by the tv.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

FAMOUS AMOS

Expert Expediter
LDB, IF YOU CAN TYPE ON HERE YOU CAN SET IT UP!:) FIRST OF ALL OURS ISN'T EVEN RUNNING THRU THE TV. ITS ON A SPLITTER CONNECTED TO THE CABLE COMMING THRU THE FLOOR AND THEN INTO THE ROUTER. DL THE SOFTWARE INTO LAPTOP AND YOU GOT IT!

WE HAVE BROADBAND AND ALSO HAVE A SPRINT CARD. SO AS LONG AS WE HAVE A SIGNAL WE HAVE OUR ROADRUNNER CABLE FROM HOME.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I use the Sprint card on here also. The biggest challenge is reaching everything at the house from here. That's why I was thinking of getting her boyfriend to do it when they come in from college next time. I may beat them home though and will do it myself if I do. I'll have to see how it works to determine where to set it up. If someone is at home and watches something on the tv it's hooked in line to does that mean you see the same thing or can it stream one channel to your pc while another one is on the tv at home?

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
I think you are just fine with alltel as they have signed a deal with sprint to share services. Atleast sprint did with altel to help push sprint farther.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
This interesting as we use Roadrunner. Can you use any aircard?
Or does it have to be something specific?

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well I have been wondering about this product and really never thought about the inner (technical) working for delivery.

But thinking about it, I saw a demostration at comdex a while ago that used a thin bandwidth connnection to stream video and audio, not unlike Citrix's ICA protocol. It was pretty good and ran on 128K connection with high quality video. If I would assume that this is the case, any decient connection will work on the users end but it would have to have a broadband connection on the slingbox end.

But again I am not a computer expert.......