Sleeping in my cargo van

fanofthehag

Seasoned Expediter
I am new to expediting and I am sleeping on a cot in my 06 Chevy cargo van. I have a 2500 watt power inverter and a 12 volt deep cycle battery AGM. Mostly sleeping at Wall Mart or truck stops. I am afaraid to keep the van running while sleeping.
Anybody have any suggestions on a better way?

Bill

Falligator

Expert Expediter
If you have 1400$ you could purchase one of those espar heaters, but if you're like me lots of blankets or one of those below zero sleeping bags would work. I've also got the roof of my van insulated. If you're going to run the van just make sure that you keep enough ventilation. I usually roll my windows down almost halfway when running. I got the insulation for my van from Lowe's but you'll pay about 30-40$ per roll. You may also want to get the silver bubble insulation.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Bill:

Whatever route you take, invest about $30 in a battery operated carbon monoxide detector at home Depot, Lowes or other such place. Whether you idle or not, if you camp out at a truck stop or Wal-Mart or any other location inhabited by idling vehicles, you might accumulate the CO from the other vehicles. We'd hate to see you wake up dead from the gasses so do yourself and family a favor and do it soon.

If you're going to do this for long, check with Ray Lawrence at Espar of Michigan and see what they can do to keep you warm.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Coleman makes a small catalytic heater that is designed for indoor use say in an RV or tent. They sell in the camping gear sections of Walmart and KMarts,cost about $50. They use a 16 oz bottle of propane as a source. It works off of a chemical reaction that produces no flame so there is no danger of carbon monoxide building up.

I used one for years in my sleeper and never had problems but I would crack a window about 1/2 inch and had a carbon monoxide detector just in case.

It was about 6-7 years ago that a EO member from Ontario named Jim Bunting brought this heater info to EO and I must admit it saved me a lot of money and kept the sleeper and cab comfortable. The only problem was that you can't regulate the heat as sometimes it would get too warm. A normal 16 oz bottle lasts about 16 hours.

One time I left a motel room in Mass and the outside temp was 2,the cab temp was 4. I got the heater going and went back to my room, 20 minutes later the cab was at 59 degrees. Nuff said.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry, that didn't work. Use the search function and type in chevy heat. That will get you to the thread.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
My van had a roof vent fan. It would blow in or out depending on the weather. No insulation in the truck. A sleeping bag and 7 blankets. I could adjust the blankets as needed. Slept in van at minus 11 degrees in Wis. Didn't freeze to death. Did have a remote starter that I could reach my warm paw out from beneath the covers, warm the engine, then get out of the bunk. Worked real well. Roof vent worked very well to help deaden the parking lot noise.

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Try using a seat heater. I used them in my sleeping bag and pluged it in to the battery pack and was very warm. the problem was leaving the sleeping bag in the morning.
I have an espar that was installed in 02 and I do not know how I would survive with out it now.

harleynana9302

Seasoned Expediter
while i was driving a cargo van with pantherii, i used a "MY BUDDY" propane heater...placed in the that back of the van by the back doors, kept the cargo area realy really warm, but also make sure to crack the windows a little....these heaters are used in campers and tents and can be purchased at cabela's....