sleepers

maybe_driving

Seasoned Expediter
Why a sleeper? I know it is to save money butif you chose to sleep in a motel why would you need a sleeper.
Thanks

In God we trust, everybody else keep were hands where we can see them ooida#811397

maybe_driving

Seasoned Expediter
ok I read the book and have to disagree

(h)(1) Off duty. Except for time spent resting in a sleeper berth, a continuous line shall be drawn between the appropriate time markers to record the period(s) of time when the driver is not on duty, is not required to be in readiness to work, or is not under any responsibility for performing work.

(h)(2) Sleeper berth. A continuous line shall be drawn between the appropriate time markers to record the period(s) of time off duty resting in a sleeper berth, as defined in §395.2 (*If a non-sleeper berth operation, sleeper berth need not be shown on the grid.)

no proof of what you were doing for your off duty time is need per Don Lacey safety manager at Primes
and yes I drive a 24'St Truck tag for 33000GVW in 34 states from TX to the east coast and stay in motels been doing it for over a year on my on from 11/06
been great talking to ya made me look and read

replay I'll check back Thanks

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If you choose to sleep in a motel every night away from home, then you don't need a sleeper. Most of us cannot afford the cost of a motel room virtually every night, though, so if you find a way to do it, I'd be interested in hearing about it.:)

maybe_driving

Seasoned Expediter
I'm not saying it's not a good idea to have one but all of the recruiters I talk to say you have to have a sleeper if you just starting out a truck with a sleeper coast a lot more than one without just a ?
thanks

In God we trust, everybody else keep were hands where we can see them

ooida#811397

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Maybe Driving;

Most companies require sleepers because hauling Expedited freight is much the same as running "Over the Road". Most expedited freight companies have, and use, 48 state Inter-state Authority. Most expedite freight companies do not run short distance freight on a continuous basis, though some loads maybe short. Most expedite freight companies cannot keep a driver busy with just short freight on a daily basis.

From the Safety standpoint, a non-sleeper truck with Ohio license plates might as well have a target painted on it when it crosses the scales in Texas, or any other state more than 275 miles away. DOT inspectors live for the opportunity to place such a driver and vehicle "Out of Service" for failure to produce adequate motel receipts in such an instance. These OOS violations adversely affect the carrier's safety (Safer Sys) ratings.

Throughout the years I have attempted to accomodate such drivers as they promise to get motel rooms every night (or day) if out on the road. Sooner or later, mostly sooner, the driver is placed OOS for lacking the proper motel receipts.

It is really in your best interest to look only at trucks that have sleepers. If a truck is such a great deal and lacks a sleeper, then purchase it with full intentions of immediately adding the sleeper before attempting to place it with a carrier. Take the time to also measure the box and cab, or ask a professional if a sleeper can be added before purchasing the "great deal" truck. Odds are you will be much better off making an additional investment on a truck that already is equipped with the sleeper. Later on you will discover that the "great deal" truck was no deal at all, and be much happier that you made the additional investment.

Just trying to keep you from making the same poor business decisions (call 'em mistakes if you like) that others have made before you.

Please take the time to visit a few truck stops in your area and discuss the issue with some experienced owner-operators. You'll find that most folks in the trucking industry are very helpful.

I wish you luck in your endeavors.

Thanks,

HotFr8Recruiter

maybe_driving

Seasoned Expediter
your not required to have motel receipts I could be wrong but I have read the safety book and all it says is if you have a sleeper then it has to be DOT approved if you log sleeper berth then you need a sleeper if you log off duty then you are on your own time in a motel or camping or with family you need not prove where you were but I will ask the Dot Guys.

Thanks

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Well your not going to get very well rested sleeping in the seat of a truck and if you can't afford a sleeper then you certainly won't be able to afford a motel every night!

Best of luck,
Fr8 Shaker

P.S. Don't let the seat bugs bite!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Maybe driving: if you're driving anything larger than a cargo van, a sleeper is a legal requirement, because you must log time spent in the sleeper berth, or produce motel receipts upon demand by the authorities, to prove that you spent the legally required time resting in a legally approved manner. In a cargo van, the sleeper can be as basic as a sleeping bag on the floor, if you choose.
I'll leave the cost/benefit figures to the guys who are good at that, like LDB, but sleeping in a motel is not economical, or convenient, either. Like truck stops, motels don't appear exactly where you would like to park, all the time, and even if there is one, what if it's "no vacancy"?
If you can't afford the sleeper, how will you pay for a motel room almost every night, even if you find one?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Not mentioned above is the most common delivery arrival time in expedite seems to be 0100-0200 with a delivery time of 0630-0800. After snoozing in the seat for 4-5 hrs and delivering in the morning, you won't have enough loggable hours to get to a hotel to reset your clock. Day trucks and typical expedite don't mix. Day trucks and couriers are another story.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Maybe Driving;

Just wanted to take a moment to clarify my comments in my response.

From my past experience over the years with probably thousands of roadside inspections submitted to me by drivers, 5 DOT Compliance Reviews (Audits) and a number of PUCO Hazmat Compliance Reviews, I have found that the auditors want the carrier company to provide the supporting documentation (motel receipts) for logs on the trucks without sleepers during Compliance Reviews. The same is true with the roadside inspectors with the drivers when stopped for such an inspection.

The parts of the Regulations that you quoted are for proper completion of the RODS (Record of Duty Status). The Regs are obviously quite extensive, and the particulars of the supporting documentation are contained elsewhere in the Regs. I currently have asked my assistant to research to find their exact location and will post the info.

If I am wrong, I offer my apologies.

Thanks,

HotFr8Recruiter
John Mueller, CDS

maybe_driving

Seasoned Expediter
no apologies needed I looked more into it and yes if you have a audit
then you would need to have them at the office like I said made me look and read more
Thanks

ooida#811397

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I used to drive a day cab over the road. I had to show motel receipts a couple of times. I would get chewed out by the boss when I turned in only one receipt for a trip that required two. A suggestion, stop at a scale and ask an officer for his/her interpretation of the law. You will find that it is a requirement.

From a practical standpoint, having a sleeper makes life a whole lot easier. Once you empty, finding a room is just one more thing you have to do. Many places you deliver don't mind if you park in their lots and get your rest. I've done that many times. A sleeper is also an investment in the truck. When the time comes to sell the truck, you will get some of your money back.

FAMOUS AMOS

Expert Expediter
**I have found that the auditors want the carrier company to provide the supporting documentation (motel receipts) for logs on the trucks without sleepers during Compliance Reviews.

WHY WOULD THE CARRIER HAVE THESE RECEIPTS OF AN OWNER OPERATOR?

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Famous Amos;

Compliance officers actually like to see other forms of supporting documentation during compliance reviews, such as toll receipts, fuel receipts, motel receipts, bills of lading or any other item that has date and/or time stamps on them. These auditors are quite adept at finding "errors" that drivers make on logs when matched to any supporting documentation. Does not matter if they are company drivers or owner-operators.

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter

maybe_driving

Seasoned Expediter
Crazynuff I started this and you are right you do not have to rest when you are off duty you can log off and go shoot pool for 15 hours then drive for 11 when you come back on duty. But what I found out is if you have your company checked by the DOT them you need this

§395.8(a) Failing to require driver to make a record of duty status (critical).

§395.8(e) False reports of records of duty status (critical).

§395.8(i) Failing to require driver to forward within 13 days of completion, the original of the record of duty status (critical).

§395.8(k)(1) Failing to preserve driver's record of duty status for 6 months (critical).

§395.8(k)(1) Failing to preserve driver's records of duty status supporting documents for 6 months (critical).this is the part that you need proof of.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations heres where it is

ooida#811397

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
This motel receipt controversy has been going on forever . If someone can post the actual regulation requiring you to sleep when off duty it would be appreciated . I'm surprised no one mentioned how teams use sleepers to justify the cost of the sleeper . You can also log less than 8 hours in a sleeper . It counts on your 14 hour clock for the day but not against your 70 in 8 days . Paying for a motel to preserve a few hours a day is not sensible .