Sitting in Passenger Seat and DOT

Ladytrucker1950

Seasoned Expediter
Linda, after reading you're post I had to respond. I've teamed for about 4 years, not with an expediter company. As you know, I've always driven big truck. In an 11 hour shift, my partner and I only stopped when absolutely necessary. Maybe twice max for a potty stop. Over 600 miles a shift were the norm.There were times when one of us would run longer if the other was overly tired. If needed we could do over 700 miles a shift. Expediting sounds like a gravy job in comparison.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
ok guys and gals,here is it all in an nut shell:

1st,
unless the company you work for,gives you written permisssion,that lets you be off duty any time you are stopped for more than 15 mins,you cant log off duty,thats if under load.

2nd,
any time you are doing anything,and I mean anything pertaining to your truck,your also considered on duty,such as going to the parts store,or even getting money from the bank to go on your dispatched trip

3rd,
if the truck is in motion,and your in the passenger seat instead of the sleeper area,and your log has you sleeping,your in log violation

4th,
if your in the truck,parked in the mall,and a dot officer,or a cop that had a bad day,wants to check your log,it better be on duty,unless your in the sleeper

5th,
thanks to are new h o s we now have to have 10 hrs off for the 14 hrs awake,you see how i said awake,yes awake.this means if you drive 5 hrs,get fuel and eat for an hour,drive another 6 hours,and spend 2 hours waiting to be unloaded,your 14 hour day has been used up,you now have to take 10 straight hours off duty,of course this can be split sleeper and off duty,but remember rule number 1,no permission to be off duty,then it all has to be logged in the bunk

now going into that split sleeper,our government is mandating we have to have straight 8 hrs sleep,and we can take a nap later for the other 2 hrs,but guess what,those 2 hrs dont stop the 14 hr clock,so if you drive, sleep 8 then drive and sleep 2 you only get to work 12 hrs that day.

how this effects teams,most all of us use to splt the sleeper birth every 5 hrs,sleep 5 drive 5,or at least work that 5,now you have to be in sleeper for 10,cause that split of 8 and 2 will shorten your day,unless your on a short load,which a lot of expedite teams are

there is more i could get into over logging,but i'm not going to,this is just what you ned to know for now

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
>1st,
>unless the company you work for,gives you written
>permisssion,that lets you be off duty any time you are
>stopped for more than 15 mins,you cant log off duty,thats if
>under load.

True

>2nd,
>any time you are doing anything,and I mean anything
>pertaining to your truck,your also considered on duty,such
>as going to the parts store,or even getting money from the
>bank to go on your dispatched trip

Going to the store or bank? That's a stretch.

>3rd,
>if the truck is in motion,and your in the passenger seat
>instead of the sleeper area,and your log has you
>sleeping,your in log violation

True

>4th,
>if your in the truck,parked in the mall,and a dot
>officer,or a cop that had a bad day,wants to check your
>log,it better be on duty,unless your in the sleeper

First, that local yokel has to have federal jurisdiction to be able to look at your logs. Sure, he can demand to see them, but he can't do anything about em IF he could understand them anyways... cept maybe call in a state trooper.

>5th,
>thanks to are new h o s we now have to have 10 hrs off for
>the 14 hrs awake,you see how i said awake,yes awake.this
>means if you drive 5 hrs,get fuel and eat for an hour,drive
>another 6 hours,and spend 2 hours waiting to be
>unloaded,your 14 hour day has been used up,you now have to
>take 10 straight hours off duty,of course this can be split
>sleeper and off duty,but remember rule number 1,no
>permission to be off duty,then it all has to be logged in
>the bunk

You said yourself that permission for off duty is for when you are under load. The example above is after you've already dropped.

>now going into that split sleeper,our government is
>mandating we have to have straight 8 hrs sleep,and we can
>take a nap later for the other 2 hrs,but guess what,those 2
>hrs dont stop the 14 hr clock,so if you drive, sleep 8 then
>drive and sleep 2 you only get to work 12 hrs that day.

Repeat after me... "I am a government zombie..." hehe

>how this effects teams,most all of us use to splt the
>sleeper birth every 5 hrs,sleep 5 drive 5,or at least work
>that 5,now you have to be in sleeper for 10,cause that split
>of 8 and 2 will shorten your day,unless your on a short
>load,which a lot of expedite teams are

I honestly don't know how teams can do this and keep their sanity. 3AM and you're dead tired, and your pard has had 6 hrs sleep already... I'd be pretty tempted to wake him/her up.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas