Sirius loosing signal near/around city

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Hope this is in the proper forum.. hate being yelled @...anywhoo..I have been loosing signal when getting near big cities..but there is nothing around me..no buildings..bridges..the normal stuff...get out of town perfect...next city..same thing...anyone else have this problem...gets frustrating when I'm in the middle of smoothing good...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Ohhh boy....that is a god related comment...that should be in the....hmmmm...soapbox???

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Ohhh boy....that is a god related comment...that should be in the....hmmmm...soapbox???

Oh my !

I'm using an app.
Next time I fire up the laptop I'll look to see what's allowed in THIS forum.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
You could ask him yourself.

PM if you need help.

Sorry, can't help with the radio issue.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I have one of the big rig style antennas on my passenger mirror..

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have one of the big rig style antennas on my passenger mirror..

Well, unless it's bad, that ain't it. I lose signal in heavy tree cover, in summer, as one would expect. I lose it around high mountains, and in the concrete canyons of big cities. I also sometime lose them, more at night, as I pass under bridges.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How old is the antenna? How is the cabling routed? Any chance the cable has broken somewhere along it's length? Connectors are firmly seated? Usually it's "urban canyon" problems. That's a strange one. Good luck figuring it out.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It is God's way of telling you Stern sucks. :rolleyes:

Do you have one of the units that shows signal strength? Have you checked your connections? Does this happen everywhere or is it an issue more in the north or south?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Brand new...did it with old stock magnet style ..upgraded to the deluxe big rig style..thanks tho..

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Well, unless it's bad, that ain't it. I lose signal in heavy tree cover, in summer, as one would expect. I lose it around high mountains, and in the concrete canyons of big cities. I also sometime lose them, more at night, as I pass under bridges.

I loose it comming into San Antonio ..nothing there..get thru the city..works fine..hmmmmm

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
It is God's way of telling you Stern sucks. :rolleyes:

Do you have one of the units that shows signal strength? Have you checked your connections? Does this happen everywhere or is it an issue more in the north or south?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Easy..it will loose all signal and go to "
Acquiring signal" ..

moose

Veteran Expediter
How long did you had this problem, and what are the exact symptoms ?
one options is because this week,{check it out} the moon is on the most far away point from earth,
this create a problem, as the satellites bands for public used are limited. you see it's a myth that commercial satellites have unlimited signal they can use. when the moon is on the far side, the Gov. needs to compensate for the lost bands, and since they are the ones regulating the satellite industry, then they step in and take over. if you read the fine prints of your contract {www.RUstillreading/xm.com}you will find out that the contract only make for 97% coverage. that's NOT 97% of the population, that's 97% of the N.A continent, and yes, that's include lake Erie & Hudson bay. which make it way more cost effective for Sirius to cut off service in large populated areas.
{bingo!, i knew there's a hidden conspiracy here}!

Last edited:

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
How long did you had this problem, and what are the exact symptoms ?
one options is because this week,{check it out} the moon is on the most far away point from earth,
this create a problem, as the satellites bands for public used are limited. you see it's a myth that commercial satellites have unlimited signal they can use. when the moon is on the far side, the Gov. needs to compensate for the lost bands, and since they are the ones regulating the satellite industry, then they step in and take over. if you read the fine prints of your contract {www.RUstillreading/xm.com}you will find out that the contract only make for 97% coverage. that's NOT 97% of the population, that's 97% of the N.A continent, and yes, that's include lake Erie & Hudson bay. which make it way more cost effective for Sirius to cut off service in large populated areas.
{bingo!, i knew there's a hidden conspiracy here}!

Been going on for awhile..2-3 months at least.. thanks for the tips though.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Is the Sirius radio connected directly to the audio (or AUX) IN of the radio, or is it communicating with the radio via the FM transmitter? If it's communicating via the FM transmitter, they go bad and get even weaker than they are. When you get near large cities, where there are lots of FM radio stations, the bleed-over from nearby stations can be power enough to kill the FM transmitter on your Sirius unit (without you actually picking up those stations though the radio).

Also, if your excess antenna wire is coiled into a rather tight loop, it greatly reduces the signal strength from the antenna. It should be loosely coiled, no tighter than about 10 inches across.

The antenna really should be on top of the vehicle, although radios on the XM network are more picky about that than the Sirius network radios are. The satellites are more southern than they are directly overhead, so anything metal, like the roof of a van, in between the antenna and the satellite will result in signal degradation or loss. Big truck side mirror mounts usually works well with big trucks, because many of those cabs are fiberglass rather than metal. The satellite signal will travel through fiberglass and insulation pretty easily, it's metal features like roof racks or aluminum framing that block the signal. But I think the problem is more likely one or both of the two problems mentioned above rather than satellite antenna placement.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The simplest cost free fix to improve signal loss.

1. Place the Sirius unit as close as possible to the installed truck radio.

2. Remove the factory radio antenna from your truck body. Just a master of unscrewing the antenna on many vehicles.

With any program but Howard stern you should notice a big improvement doing these two things. When listening to stern any interference is good for you. :)

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123