Sinkhole under the Corvette Museum in KY

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Painful to watch.

That area of Kentucky, near Mammoth Cave, caves, springs and sinkholes are pretty common. The underlying rock is mostly limestone, and the springs eventually just eat it away, expanding the caves, and sometimes cause sinkholes. Amazingly, the building itself isn't damaged at all. Also amazingly, the sole 1983 Corvette in existence was not one of the damaged cars.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Ouch.. not really a Corvette guy, but as a car buff in general.. ouch..

Massive Sinkhole Swallows Vintage Corvettes - NBC News

1234029_765085546844811_112449332_n.jpg

The cars were among some of the most coveted by admirers of the popular sports car. Among the cars affected:

1993 ZR-1 Spyder on loan from General Motors
2009 ZR1 "Blue Devil" on loan from General Motors
1962 Black Corvette
1984 PPG Pace Car
1992 White 1 Millionth Corvette
1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Corvette
2001 Mallett Hammer Z06 Corvette
2009 White 1.5 Millionth Corvette

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The photo looks like some kid had his matchbox cars in the back yard. That's really a shame in the inanimate object arena.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I know we've all drove by it lots of times..

If you haven't seen this video yet, wow.. the earth opened up under the museum.

The moment sinkhole opens under Corvette museum caught on camera | Fox News

Yes.....many have "Driven" by there............But how many here has actually stopped by there and toured the Museum?

I've been in there a Couple of Times.........

LOT of History in there..........NOT only Cars......but also Engines, Parts, Memorabilia, Catalogs, Books, Magazines, etc......that all relate to the History of the Corvette.

I HOPE they have a Crew working AROUND the Clock to empty that building as quickly as possible. With what we just witnessed there in the "Dome".....where the Cream of the Crop was Displayed.....I would not take a Chance at anything else happening to EVERYTHING Else under the roof of that whole Facility..............

Any Expeditors out there driving up or Down 65 in Bowling Green today? If so.....let us know what you see going outside the building..........Moving Vans?? Car Haulers?? Etc.......

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And we have the ambulance chasing lawyers.
Sink hole lawyers?, Really?
What ever happened to life being a craps shot? Roll your dice and take your chances.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Structural engineers have said the rest of the building is safe, and geologists say there is no real chance of any more sinkholes any time soon. Still, both have set up measuring devices to measure any movement of the Sky Tower. The museum is back open, but the Sky Dome is closed until further notice.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I will admit, I've never been there, Corvette never been my thing, however as a muscle car nut I can appreciate the loss.

Now, if there is ever a Chevelle museum or Cutlass Museum, I'm in trouble lol

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums mobile app

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
When we were in the process of purchasing our older Corvette we stopped by the museum and looked at these cars. It took us over ten years to stop and we are very glad we did.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
But the dinosaurs are safe at dinosaur world......lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app