simple

Jeepers

Expert Expediter
I can't get onto the fedex forum so i post it here. The simple solution to all of the aggravation is for the company to terminate the individual that is responsible for all of the detrimental changes. In any other business it would have been done long ago.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First the company would have to think those responsible are doing something wrong. If you notice it is the public companies announcing driver pay cuts. Express1 and FedEx. Is panther next?

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

Jeepers

Expert Expediter
And let us not forget the new driver placement service. A bargain service at $800 dollars per driver.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
And let us not forget the new driver placement service. A bargain service at $800 dollars per driver.

Huh? :confused: What's that all about?
And how are pay cuts justified, after years of rising costs and 'driver shortages'?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
First the company would have to think those responsible are doing something wrong. If you notice it is the public companies announcing driver pay cuts. Express1 and FedEx. Is panther next?

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

I don't see Panther cutting drivers pay, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if some of the carriers exposure is shifted to the operator. Seems to be all the rage as of late.

Jeepers

Expert Expediter
They used to have available a list of people that were either approved or had expressed interest in FCC. I guess it didn't work out. They now direct you to NG Driver Recruiting. Once a driver is placed there is a $800 dollar fee. To that you need to add the tval fee and the time involved for WG training. Hey, this stuff is getting expensive.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
They used to have available a list of people that were either approved or had expressed interest in FCC. I guess it didn't work out. They now direct you to NG Driver Recruiting. Once a driver is placed there is a $800 dollar fee. To that you need to add the tval fee and the time involved for WG training. Hey, this stuff is getting expensive.

Does the "NG" stand for Nigeria? ;)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
So let me get this right. You have a carrier with numerous contractors wanting to sue over rates, followed by a recruiting department that is funneling their few prospects through a third party company in order to charge their fleet contractors a 800 dollar fee per driver? Gee what could go wrong?
Oh, wait a minute, I read you get points or something if you run cheap now? Is this another one of those "it isn't the pay, it is the miles"?

Jeepers

Expert Expediter
None of the changes over the past few years make any sense. My opinion. ...In 3 to 5 years this will be a power only company for tractors and ES will own the straight truck market.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
None of the changes over the past few years make any sense. My opinion. ...In 3 to 5 years this will be a power only company for tractors and ES will own the straight truck market.

For the Fed maybe. Everywhere else, not seeing it.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
So let me get this right. You have a carrier with numerous contractors wanting to sue over rates, followed by a recruiting department that is funneling their few prospects through a third party company in order to charge their fleet contractors a 800 dollar fee per driver? Gee what could go wrong?
Oh, wait a minute, I read you get points or something if you run cheap now? Is this another one of those "it isn't the pay, it is the miles"?

This.
I can't speak as eloquently but totally recognize the script.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Why is the world coming to an end just because FedEx is going to a pay system that closely mirrors one of, if not, their closest competitor ?

Hasn't Panther been flat rate for a long time ?
They seem to be doing fine.
Why ?

I've asked but don't really get good answers.
How different are the two plans ?
How about someone that has figured out what their last few runs will pay on flat rate put out 4 or 5 differant examples so a Panther guy can put out some comparative pay ?
Mix it up. Reasonable dh, ridiculous dh, short /long.
And what does Panther pay for minis ?
I guess to someone that may lose $$$ every week, and otherwise has been happy at FedEx, they may not care what the Cat pays.

I'm curious as to how out of line with the market the new FedEx plan is.

Last edited:

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Why is the world coming to an end just because FedEx is going to a pay system that closely mirrors one of, if not, their closest competitor ?

Hasn't Panther been flat rate for a long time ?
They seem to be doing fine.
Why ?

How about someone that has figured out what their last few runs will pay on flat rate put out 4 or 5 differant examples so a Panther guy can put out some comparative pay ?
I guess to someone that may lose $$$ every week, and otherwise has been happy at FedEx, they may not care what the Cat pays.

Great questions. I look forward to someone answering this from a neighboring company.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Panther offered $1.40 a loaded mile plus FSC. $.40 for deadhead miles from mile 1. That is for a team truck with HAZMAT and lift gate. At 20% deadhead that is slightly less than I will get at FedEx. Plus I will get all tolls reimbursed and an additional $75 for HAZMAT. I think they pay $275 for a mini.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Jim, so in cases over 20% dh FedEx would get incrementally better ?
We all get humungous dh offers.
And sometimes it make sense to take them. At least under the present system.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

You may have touched on a way to get the answers you seek. Start a new thread called "Rate Compare" or some such thing. Present three hypothetical loads (cross-country team, mini, nice solo run) and include all details; miles to pick up, size, weight, lift gate yes or no, etc. Then ask drivers; under your present contract with your present motor carrier, how much would you be paid to haul load A, load B and load C?

You could make it more real by presenting the last three load offers you accepted and presenting those as hypotheticals. That would leave you with no doubt about how much you actually got paid on those. The answers presented by people with other carriers may be quite informative.

People are reluctant to talk about the money they actually make (or don't make), but it would be easy for most expediters to answer the above question.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Last three runs.

5 miles DH. 32 miles loaded. 37 miles total. Pay $153.31
New pay plan would pay $175.00.

759 miles DH. 1628 miles loaded. 2387 miles total. Pay $3461.15.
New pay plan would pay $3395.35. (Load was HAZMAT)

178 miles DH. 595 miles loaded. 773 miles total. Pay $1151.77.
New pay plan would pay $1196.15. (Load was HAZMAT and had $12 in tolls.)

Last edited: