Should I look at load boards instead of signing wi

jerseycoast

Expert Expediter
After looking at a ton of info on this board I will probably start with one of the established carriers (FECC, Express-1, etc.)in the near future, but...

I also followed a lot of links to some load boards. What does a person have to do to be able to carry one of these loads? What authority do I need? Sounds like you have to do all the paperwork yourself.

I am looking to some of this part time and wonder if going it alone like this makes any sense. I also read about these factoring companies that you can sell your freight bill to and receive an immediate payment (less the 7% fee). Are these people reliable?

All together it sounds like you make contact with the shipper, carry the load and then either invoice the shipper and wait, or sell it to a factoring company and let them handle the paperwork. Seems logical

Guess I sound like I want to open my own small trucking company.

Thanks.

jerseycoast

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
RE: Should I look at load boards instead of signin

boards are not going to pay as well, or be as consistant as regular expediting companies. If you aren't an expert at how the boards run, I wouldn't take a chance at them. You'd be better off trying to win the lottery.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard

Concur with T'HAWK, put your money on a good national company, give them your full attention until you've got the hang of expediting's pros and cons. With a good attitude and a good company, you'll be a successful as the best of those on this site.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I looked at several of the biggies and chose Express-1. I am very glad I did. I took my first load last Sat. at 13:00 and as of today at 13:00 have had 5 runs for a total of 2062 loaded and paid miles. I am tired so I'm going to sleep a full night tonite and jump back in tomorrow. Talk to Bill at Express-1 if you haven't already. He's a good guy and they are a good company.

Leo
truck 767