Short Runs

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Have you all seen an influx of "short" runs or is it just me?? Seems like the bulk of my runs over the last 2.5 to 3 weeks have bveen under 200 miles...while most pay well, they can mess up the whole day...

I beginning to think that "load planning" is making a effort to go after these loads....

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
What you doing down here, Chef?

I have been on an extended string of one load weeks. In part, my own doing in trying to get maintenance done. In part, runs to the nether regions. Fortunately the few runs have been long ones. I haven't picked up any momentum to compare to what you are seeing. I must say that my best months this summer have been based on lots of consistent short runs. I do better with the short runs, because they tend to be higher paying runs. But I also have to keep closer tabs on the deadhead on the shorter runs.

eb

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
One trend I think I started seeing late this summer is a reduction in the impossible-to-make pick up times. It's welcome by me.

eb

PJay59

Veteran Expediter
Ya I have seen same thing here as well, seeing many even under 100 miles but the rates on those have been so good I hate to turn them down. And when I go over my numbers things still looking good. And get down to it we are all here for that Bottom Line.......

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I guess the ranting when I called and well i'll say talked...to the Driver Relations guy did something because ever since I have had nothing but longer runs that pay well...well except the one I just ran, upfront it was a pre-dispatch that they tried to pay me the "auto rate" ...I called and raised hell and refused it if they didn't raise the pay...lol..it went up to acceptable, but still not good..I ran it and am thinking realllllllly hard that a move may be in the futre.....:rolleyes:

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Have returned from a 25 month hiatus. Finished indoctrination about 2:30 or if you wish14:30 on Tuesday last. Had a run every day starting Tuesday afternoon. Haven't checked my book but about 1100 paid miles from Tuesday afternoon until 1 AM this morning. When I delivered with in 130 miles of my little shanty so came home to say hello to the mules & horses. So far so good as far as I'm concerned.;)