Semi driver thinking of going to expiditing. Advice appreciated

johnwest2551

Rookie Expediter
Hello....I have been thinking of going to straight truck with sleeper. I would like to at first get on with a company or fleet that will allow me to drive their vehicle. I have the resources to buy my own truck, but do not wish to at this time. I feel like I really need to get my feet wet before I jump into the water. I would love to hear about driving opportunities, as well as advice from solos, doing this now.

I have no issues with being on the road extended periods of time, I just want to see how others are making it, or struggling? :)
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!!!

John

guido4475

Not a Member
Hello....I have been thinking of going to straight truck with sleeper. I would like to at first get on with a company or fleet that will allow me to drive their vehicle. I have the resources to buy my own truck, but do not wish to at this time. I feel like I really need to get my feet wet before I jump into the water. I would love to hear about driving opportunities, as well as advice from solos, doing this now.

I have no issues with being on the road extended periods of time, I just want to see how others are making it, or struggling? :)
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!!!

John

Make a pot of coffee and sit and read the threads on this website. It's all here, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

angelfly

Seasoned Expediter
DONT DO IT if you can drive a truck do it with a company that is not sitting by the phone waiting for a load to penny out to you I did it for 11 months and when all said and done was in the hole more and I should add this is the only business that the owners don't have to pay you nor will any company back you up the only thing you will hear is you work for the owner not them. if you can buy your own truck you will have a better chance that way no one sees your money before you do good luck

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't do it if you are going to be a solo, it is best set up for a same household team.

Run2farm

Rookie Expediter
Stick with the tractor.if you dont like pulling a 53' dry box get a pup trailer do expedite and LTL if you really want to make money go to a flat or step deck if your able to handle tarpping and securing freight there is good money to made.more of the well known expediters broker out flat bed freight more often than you would think.tri-state,panther,ch robinson,landstar all have flatbed freight they move at great rates everyday.some of the above also have crap you have to pick and choose wisely.

Monty

Expert Expediter
Making the move from semi, "more miles" to expediting, "more money" is a rough changeover. You will find yourself sitting for days .. and that gets tedious .... I know, I did it.

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
I have no issues with being on the road extended periods of time, I just want to see how others are making it, or struggling?
Your hesitation about buying a truck before you see what expediting is all about is wise.

The previous responders, however, are supplying insufficient, if not completely erroneous, information.

PM me for advice on how to make your transition, and subsequent career, successful.

Run2farm

Rookie Expediter
Would you have said this six months ago ?
If not, you may not say it six months in the future. Hopefully.

Are you saying a guy in a straight truck expediting only makes money 6 months out of the year then spends it all covering the bills the six months he is not maken money?

wwb6698

Expert Expediter
WOW so after reading these posts why would anyone want to expedite? If i was thinking of getting into this anytime soon after reading this I definitely would be looking at being a walmart greater or something else as a career. Just saying not a very positive outlook as far as i can tell...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A lot of sour grapes in these posts. Its slow this year so writing might be good. That being said there is still money to be made. Keep in mind when your splitting money with a fleet owner slow times hurt more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
My point was up to six months ago would the guy be saying YEAH,DO IT. BEST THING THAT'S EVER HAPPENED TO ME. ?
It's been a tough 1st qtr. People are still buying high dollar straights at a decent rate.
Expediting has more ups and downs than general freight. If you can weather the storms it's a very good thing to be in.
My immediate family has 5 members that have about 20 years combined and none of us are even thinking of exiting the segment.