Securing a honda generator

seekerman

Expert Expediter
It appears that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a Honda generator. It will be a 2000 or 3000. Will you guys provide some tips on how to secure the generator when it is running outside the vehicle so I won't wake up in the morning as a hapless former Honda generator owner? I've got a Sprinter 2500.
Thanks!

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
From second hand knowledge and seeing these generators, Some will chain it to the front wheel. Make sure you don't forget about it and drive off with it chained to the wheel though:eek: I am sure that has happened on occasion LOL

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It appears that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a Honda generator. It will be a 2000 or 3000. Will you guys provide some tips on how to secure the generator when it is running outside the vehicle so I won't wake up in the morning as a hapless former Honda generator owner? I've got a Sprinter 2500.
Thanks!

3 places I use....if in a not so good area...chain it to either my front wheel...or side view mirror....not too heavy a chain..just a deterrent chain....then sometimes to the tow hook at the front so I don't hear it so much when in a more secure location..

Don't go hog nuts on a real heavy chain either...if someone has a chain cutter, bigger ain't going to stop them...

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
A search for "honda+generator+mount" without the quote marks will bring up a selection of discussions on the topic.

eb

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I use a 1/2 inch master lock steel braided plastic covered cable and a real good lock and run that through the read wheel and around the axle and theought the handle of the generator....you can get the cable and lock at home depot....

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
I saw a guy 2 weeks ago with a generator inside of a metal plate box with a hole cut in the side for exhaust and a large lock on the bottom with no way possible the lock can be cut . It was attached to the rear door. Perfect set up.

I dont think I would feel safe chaining it up rather than having it boxed up on the door but thats me.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
i have my 2000i in a metal box that i fabed ...its attached to the drivers side rear door ....all hard wired in ... 0 set up.. nice thing also is the 2000i has 12v output...i have that hard wired into my house batterys....there are pictures i posted a while back on here of my setup..... good luck

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
I tried to get a metal box fabed for my two generators but no one would do it. I then built one out of plywwood and angle iron. It looks like a minature outhouse on the rear door but it works. "Function over form?"
LOL

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
souds like you are done but you could do this

IMG_5421.jpg

or this

001-1.jpg

or this

gencarrieronsprinter001.jpg

seekerman

Expert Expediter
Wow Jack. I wonder what kind of additional weight we're talking with the outfits pictured. Thanks for all the input.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
1st and third pic were honda ec300i units. thin sheet metal on the sprinter gen.
middle one was a tecumseh 5000 or 7000 (don't recollect) unit. for that one 700 lbs incl frame?

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
seen it in birming ham guy went to move his van in the truck lot wide load and dove about 25 30 feet before he stopped lots of scuffs but it fired right up would make for a good commercial.lol