Screen View

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
I don't know what to call it (screen view?) but wanted to mention that on my Mac, the widths are appearing 'off' to me.
On some posts, either the poster's sentences are cut off.... (if I have the 'view' size set larger, which I do because many font sizes are too small to bother reading).. or if I change my 'view' size to normal, then the column on the right is cut off... it is one or the other for me...
I compared to my PC sitting next to the Mac, and it's fine there. On the PC, the EO page takes the full span of the screen, but on the Mac, there is a pile of white space on each side of the threads, but at the top where the header is, it spans the entire width.

Even if I spread out the 'safari' screen to be wider, the white space remains, and the cut-off stuff is still cut off.

Edit: It appears that this problem may only be happening when there is either a really large picture posted within a post, or if there are more than a couple of 'thumbnail' pics within a post.

Also, on the 'forums' front page, it also cuts off there, and it seems it is because 'sub forums' have been added to some (ie the carriers forum), and they are in columns which do not 'wrap'.

Thought I'd let EO know.. this has been for a long time, it isn't new. I'm using safari 5.0.4

While I'm at it, another thing... when I go to a poster's drop-down info on the left column, (where it gives you the option of clicking on the poster's name and choosing 'send a pvt msg', or 'see other posts', etc), I was thinking it did not work any more, but figured out that it IS working, but the dropdown info box appears way up higher on the screen, like 2 posters above the one I clicked on.. sometimes have to scroll up to find it. This seems to be a 'new' problem.

Another Edit: nevermind the above about the 'pictures' (altho that may also be another issue?), it looks like every thread that 'bobwg' posts in (whether or not the thread has a picture in it anywhere) is affected... and 'bobwg's' column at the left is way narrower than anyone else's. (the one that says whether he's a 'member' or 'senior member', how many posts, etc.)

Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In the case of Bobwg, for some reason he listed the web links across the page instead of down the page. It doesn't totally blow up the page on my 'puter like a big picture does, but he really should change that.

Bob, if you happen to read this, just enter one of the web addresses, then hit enter and do the next one. That should put them down instead of across.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In the case of Bobwg, for some reason he listed the web links across the page instead of down the page. It doesn't totally blow up the page on my 'puter like a big picture does, but he really should change that.

Bob, if you happen to read this, just enter one of the web addresses, then hit enter and do the next one. That should put them down instead of across.
Hitting {enter} would be better, as it will show the URLs as a list, but even {comma} and then {space} between each URL would at least allow the browser to render the page with word wraparound, preventing the page from busting the right lane. He's got spaces after the first two URLs (due to typos probably) but no more after that, which causes all the rest of the text to be essentially one really long word that won't wrap.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter

Hitting {enter} would be better, as it will show the URLs as a list, but even {comma} and then {space} between each URL would at least allow the browser to render the page with word wraparound, preventing the page from busting the right lane. He's got spaces after the first two URLs (due to typos probably) but no more after that, which causes all the rest of the text to be essentially one really long word that won't wrap.

Ah yes, thanks, that is exactly what is causing the issue with each thread that bobwg has posted in! On my PC, it's fine, the entire width of all columns is viewable, but on the Mac, for some reason, the column on the right is cut off (the one that shows ads, 'member area', 'like us on facebook', etc.)... it still shows the little borders on each side of the page, but then there is a large white space on each side of the page, after that, which could be formatted to expand in the event something is too wide to fit? The header at the top is *that* wide, but the threads themselves are not. And it is only cut off in this case when I have the pageview font set at larger so that it's not such tiny little print.

It just surprises me since I understood the people over at OTM to be using Macs?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The reason the header at the top is *that* wide is because of how HTML gets rendered by the browser. The header isn't a fixed size, but gets rendered differently by each person's browser to fit the page on the monitor. Everything else falls in line under it, but when something forces the browser to widen the page to accommodate for something like a too-wide of a picture (more than about 640 pixels) or something like Bob's sig, then the header will adjust, but not so much the body of the page, since that would require forcing wrap of a picture, which you can't do. So, things just push to the right.

It just surprises me since I understood the people over at OTM to be using Macs?
Considering they are using Macs, I'm not surprised at all. <snort> :D

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
The reason the header at the top is *that* wide is because of how HTML gets rendered by the browser. The header isn't a fixed size, but gets rendered differently by each person's browser to fit the page on the monitor. Everything else falls in line under it, but when something forces the browser to widen the page to accommodate for something like a too-wide of a picture (more than about 640 pixels) or something like Bob's sig, then the header will adjust, but not so much the body of the page, since that would require forcing wrap of a picture, which you can't do. So, things just push to the right.

Considering they are using Macs, I'm not surprised at all. <snort> :D

But the header (as well as the footer) spans out to the full width of my browser window on every single page, not just on the pages where there are issues.... so can't the body of the site be made to extend wider, to the width of whatever browser a person is using?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
But the header (as well as the footer) spans out to the full width of my browser window on every single page, not just on the pages where there are issues.... so can't the body of the site be made to extend wider, to the width of whatever browser a person is using?
When you're working with HTML and CSS style sheets, and having to design pages which can be rendered by both new and old versions of browsers on both old and new computers and operating systems, there's only so much flexibility you can have, especially since you don't have a clue at what display resolution someone is using. For the most part, pages do indeed extend out to the width of the display, within the scope and parameters of the style sheets used. But in the case of Bob's sig, which breaks the rendering process in not allowing the wordwrap, nothing can be done by the browser to account for that. Only Bob can fix it. Or an Admin.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
While we are in an Apple environment here - our visitors or in an Internet Explorer world... :confused: So it doesn't really matter. :rolleyes:

It doesn't really matter, except that you have Macs right there to view/test it on? It's not like I have an antique here, it's only a few months old.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
When you're working with HTML and CSS style sheets, and having to design pages which can be rendered by both new and old versions of browsers on both old and new computers and operating systems, there's only so much flexibility you can have, especially since you don't have a clue at what display resolution someone is using. For the most part, pages do indeed extend out to the width of the display, within the scope and parameters of the style sheets used. But in the case of Bob's sig, which breaks the rendering process in not allowing the wordwrap, nothing can be done by the browser to account for that. Only Bob can fix it. Or an Admin.

It's not just the bogwg stuff that is affected.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Where is that thread - I can't find it. When people do that - we will try and fix it.

It is every single thread in which bobwg has posted a post.

It is also in threads where there is either a too-large photo, or a series of thumbnails.

It is also on the main forum page, due to the columns under the carrier forum. (they don't wrap)

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter

Yes, bobwg's posts are fixed now...
But now 'Lawrence's' left column is off (too wide) (not sure why, as it is blocked out) - ok nevermind, it's now fixed!

I guess there's nothing that can be done about pics that are posted that are too large, ie:
http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/general-expediter-forum/47202-memorable-roads.html#post434609

Also, you know how you can highlight a name at the left column, while looking at a post, and see a list of options, such as 'email member', 'see other posts', etc? It seems like at the top post on the page, that little box comes up in one place, and with each poster, the little box gets further and further and further away.. so that I really have to scroll to find it. I think this is unique on the Mac as well.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I guess there's nothing that can be done about pics that are posted that are too large
Well, first of all, there needs to be something either in the TOS or the COC or somewhere about the max size of pictures, whatever that size may be. I know that anything larger than 640 will break most browsers. Once the size has been determined, then anyone who posts something too large gets their picture deleted until they resize it.

Until then, we can just unmercifully hammer those who post pictures which are too large. :D

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Well, first of all, there needs to be something either in the TOS or the COC or somewhere about the max size of pictures, whatever that size may be. I know that anything larger than 640 will break most browsers. Once the size has been determined, then anyone who posts something too large gets their picture deleted until they resize it.

Until then, we can just unmercifully hammer those who post pictures which are too large. :D

I thought there *was* something about the size of pics... or maybe I'm thinking about the avatar? I know when I was playing with my old avatar a long time ago, I'm pretty sure it would not appear until it was within the size parameters. Aren't pics the same way?

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter

Out of curiosity, what happens if someone is using an ipod or an iphone or something, if the pic is 'too big'? What do they see?