School closures

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Maybe im old and dont remember, but as i sit here watching the news, a banner scrolling along the bottom of the screen lists the schools closed due to the cold temps.

REALLY!!!

I can understand a snow storm, but due to cold? Give me a break!

When did this crap start?

Rant over.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
In Michigan? That sounds like wussie Jersey stuff. When isn't it cold in Michigan?

I'm sitting here reading a Steve Hamilton novel that take place in the UP

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe im old and dont remember, but as i sit here watching the news, a banner scrolling along the bottom of the screen lists the schools closed due to the cold temps.

REALLY!!!

Rant over.

That's my point.... this is Michigan. It is supposed to be cold in the winter.

I dont remember schools closing due to cold. It got cold, we got bundled up and went to school.
Agree... 100%
As a farm kid if the snow was too deep for school bus and school was closed meant ... bundle up there is 10 hours of chores too do ... no excuses ..

But with lawyers suing for this and that ... School districts don't want to have a bus full of kids stranded somewhere becaused it Gelled Up ... or went off the road ..
Its easier to extend school longer into June .. than take risks now in January...
Just M O...

another day .. another bowl of Popcorn

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

REALLY!!!

Rant over.

That's my point.... this is Michigan. It is supposed to be cold in the winter.

I dont remember schools closing due to cold. It got cold, we got bundled up and went to school.
Agree... 100%
As a farm kid if the snow was too deep for school bus and school was closed meant ... bundle up there is 10 hours of chores too do ... no excuses ..

But with lawyers suing for this and that ... School districts don't want to have a bus full of kids stranded somewhere becaused it Gelled Up ... or went off the road ..
Its easier to extend school longer into June .. than take risks now in January...
Just M O...

another day .. another bowl of Popcorn
I get all that and can see the point in a rural setting, but SE Michigan is hardly rural.

Its cold.... tough bazookies! Bundle up.

Reactions: ntimevan

mrswornout

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator

REALLY!!!

Rant over.
Maybe there's busing issues?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

REALLY!!!

Rant over.
Maybe there's busing issues?
Nope..... Must be 20-25 districts closing due to cold.

ucfd608

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am in my mid 30s an I do not remember ever being able to stay home for temp maybe snow but not temp an I remember it being really cold when I was growing up cause I would try to pitch a fit to stay out of school so I could deer hunt an then dad would get out the belt

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: Ragman and ntimevan

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
May be because their pants aren't pulled up and they will get frostbut.:cool:

muttly

Veteran Expediter
It use to be just snow when schools would close. At least that is what I remember. Usually 6 to 8 inches of it would close school for a day. A foot of it might close school for two days ! Yipee

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It use to be just snow when schools would close. At least that is what I remember. Usually 6 to 8 inches of it would close school for a day. A foot of it might close school for two days ! Yipee
That's my point... Heavy snow, i understand, but because its cold.... I just don't get it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What this means is that the school buses in that area won't start at those temps.
Bull titties!

We have had school buses since i was a drip on my dads leg and they all started in the cold.

This has to do with wimpy kids.
kids are a reflection of the parents..whimpy parents....ever been at a school when it drizzles rain? they have a cop directing traffic because all the soccer moms picking up the poor kiddies...