Scanners

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Try plugging in the Neat scanner and see if it works.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
We have used the new scanner all of this past week, and everything has gone flawlessly thus far.
It will be interesting to see if the run paperwork sent in on wednesday morning makes it onto the statement for the week.
Also like that you are given a confirmation number plus a qualcomm message that the paperwork has been processed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

ihamner

Expert Expediter
We have also used ours all week and we really like it. Each time we scan we are receiving the msg about the paperwork received. But we are not thrilled with having to scan it twice, once to the CLink and once to our computer (using Neat Receipts). But we must remember that just because they "say" paperwork has been received doesn't necessarily mean it will be entered into the system. Be absolutely certain you keep a copy for future reference. That is why we are scanning it twice - once for us and once for them (whoever they are).

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
What do you do with the original signed BOL after scanning?
Save it or mail it in.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
The original can be tossed (recycled!!!) as long as you keep a copy for your records but once it is scanned in and you receive the msg that it was received you can dispose of the paper copy.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I don't think I would toss it in a truck stop trash can.
If someone wanted go dumpster diving it would give them our customer information.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'd keep them just like I've kept my copy so far. They're paper thin after all.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
We picked one up in Green while there for TVAL testing this last week. Easy to install. The Clink recognized the scanner immediately. Ran through the calibration in a few seconds. We were ready to scan 5 minutes after opening the box. :)

Sent in our first BOL after our delivery Friday afternoon. Sent at 18:44. At 21:00, we got the "Scanned Paperwork Processed" message on the Clink. Now we'll see if they actually process it, lol.

DryRun

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I bought my scanner online, and received it 5 business days later via FedEx Ground. Shipping to NJ was $9.

Clink set up was simple, no install issues at all, and worked as promised.

There was a problem with the install on a Windows 8 32-bit laptop. Although I installed the drivers recommended for the OS version, the laptop device manager saw the unit as a DocketPort 465. (Not 468Q) After a call to BCS tech support, (408)213-3715, I found out that I needed to install the DocketPort 465 driver, and voila. You will need the scan app, also located on the same page as the drivers. I'm not sure if the above advice applies to 64-bit Windows.

DocketPORT Drivers & Downloads

Note that if you calibrate the scanner to a device, you will have to recalibrate it if you wish to use it on another. (Clink, PC, etc.)

There is another scanner option that supposedly works with the Clink, the Canon P190. Somewhat pricey at around $250, but with probably better support and features.

Last edited:

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
Giving thought to both the Qual. scanner and also a scanner/copier connected into the system. Info I received is that your own printer/copier/scanner can be connected that would allow more options such as sending scans to both FECC and my computer. Also the auto save to my computer for possible future re-sends etc. Does anyone else find it surprising that a major change in FECC has taken place and no one is mentioning it? Policy has always been - Must sent in ORIGINAL BOL copy with original signatures, no copies etc. Suddenly, who cares what happens to the original, just scan in a copy. Policy changes no one talks about. JMO Jack

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If we are able to use our Neat Receipts scanner on the Clink we will. Other wise, we are NOT buying a second scanner unless we are REQUIRED too or are other wise forced to. There is just no return for the outlay. That is ALWAYS bad for business.

I am not concerned about using TripPak. We have never had a problem in the 8 years we have been using it. I just don't see an upside to the scanner they want us to buy.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
FXCC has been testing scanning for several years before they started this with all of the fleet. There were many concerns about scanning that they worked through in the past years which I think is one of the reasons the beta test when on for as long as it has.

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
For anyone who already carries a scanner/copier/printer, you do not need to buy a QUALCOMM printer. Almost all units can be used to scan and send in any and all FECC paperwork into the new system. Tom at FECC can explain how to set this up and it's just as easy as the QUALCOMM scanner. JMO Jack

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
For anyone who already carries a scanner/copier/printer, you do not need to buy a QUALCOMM printer. Almost all units can be used to scan and send in any and all FECC paperwork into the new system. Tom at FECC can explain how to set this up and it's just as easy as the QUALCOMM scanner. JMO Jack

Do you know off hand if that includes the NeatReceipts scanner?

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Do you have to add the 1 at the end when scanning?

Sent from my VS920 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
We have when scanning ours in. One rare occasions, especially if you pick up from airports, the ending digit isn't an "1". Seen 2's a few times.

Ours is working as advertised. No missing BOLs so far. Have used it to send in our recent DOT inspection form and our IAC paperwork.

psm127_dad

Seasoned Expediter

Jack,

I sure would be interested in knowing how to use my existing scanner. Either scanning to my laptop & then somehow sending to the fedex system or scanning directly into the clink via the USB port for a scanner located on the CLINK.

However, after talking to Tom L. today, he is unaware of ANY other scanner besides the one sold by BSC (or is it BCS??) :confused::) that works with the CLINK. What he did tell me was that FedEx will be discontinuing the paper envelope system with Trip-Pak. He also says that there is a free APP from TRIP-PAK available for any smart phone to take pictures of BOL paperwork & send it in. I looked & found the APP in the Google Play store.

I do not know if this works or not, but Tom says it will.

On a side note, FedEx realizes that something else needs to be done besides forcing everyone to purchase THIS scanner. There are many drawbacks including the already mentioned issue of recalibration when you switch devices. FedEx does not yet know what the ultimate answer will be, but it will be a year or so before they make a radical, forced change.

My thoughts about the APP... if it works as advertised, that will be great for sending in BOL & other run related paperwork AFTER the load is complete. It does not address the other features of sending things to safety or Canadian paperwork at departure.

Hope this helps

Deville

Not a Member
I've been useing Handy scanner for scaning all sorts of paperowork the past 2 years. I've scanned paperowrk on the road that needed to be send to safety useing this app & emailed it as an attachment & never had an issue.

The smartphone app is exactly what should have been rolled out when they rolled out the new scanners. I would have gladly switched over to a scan system if FEDEX wasn't trying to pick my pockets for another $150. It's bad enought they circumvented the lease & took away 99% of my deadhead money.

psm127_dad

Seasoned Expediter
... He also says that there is a free APP from TRIP-PAK available for any smart phone to take pictures of BOL paperwork & send it in. I looked & found the APP in the Google Play store.

I do not know if this works or not, but Tom says it will. ...

My thoughts about the APP... if it works as advertised....

Well, after some more investigating & talking directly to TripPak Customer Service, I find that the mobile APP will NOT work because FedEx does not pay TripPak for that service.... However, TripPak has free software you can download to your laptop that will use an existing scanner you have & send the paperwork to TripPak.

The Customer Service person tells me that I can use this to send in my paperwork. I just got off the phone with Tom L. & told him the mobile app for TripPak does not work because FedEx CC is does not pay for that service. Tom said he knew that already & that I must have misunderstood him. So, I told him about using my own scanner & laptop with WiFi in conjunction with the TripPak software that I was told about. Tom says that Fedex does not pay for that service either...

I am going to test this for Tom by downloading the software & try it with my next load. If it works, great! Tom does not think it will work because FedEx is paying QualComm for the "In cab scanning"... TripPak has told me that FedEx is paying for the "In cab scanning". I suspect that FedEx is paying QualComm for this "TripPak" service (plus additional QualComm fees for handling the scanning through the CLINK.

I will let you know... & sorry for the bad information yesterday...

psm127_dad

Seasoned Expediter
I've been useing Handy scanner for scaning all sorts of paperowork the past 2 years. I've scanned paperowrk on the road that needed to be send to safety useing this app & emailed it as an attachment & never had an issue.

This sounds like a good option! Do you use Handy Scanner to send in run paperwork (BOL) too?