Scanners

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Another topic probably beaten to death but I have just run across the Fujitsu Scansnap S1300.
We have become dependent on our scanner over the years but alas she is about to become a boat anchor and we must consider the possibility of an upgrade before the end of the tax year.
Anybody else have one of these or one that will power off the usb port for convenience and is cross compatible with Windows and Mac's OSX?
Fujitsu Scansnap S1300 Scanners | Portable PDF Scanners : Fujitsu United States

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Thanks DD
I like Neat receipts but it isn't cross platform..
However
I am intrigued by the filing system and data extraction tools for the Mac.
Is it as intuitive as it seems and do you run Windows or OSX?
Thanx

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Thanks DD
I like Neat receipts but it isn't cross platform..
However
I am intrigued by the filing system and data extraction tools for the Mac.
Is it as intuitive as it seems and do you run Windows or OSX?
Thanx

You're welcome and I run windows 7......being the techie idiot that I am, I have no idea what you mean by "cross platform".

PS....have you fried that camera yet?? Haven't seen any pics in a while....;)

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Cross meaning can use with either Windows or Mac:)
Still have the camera in fact 2 more just lost interest while looking
after my grandfather last year.
Not to worry though as I have done a few things the last few months
and will post something soon;)

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
we just bought a kodak p811 scanner 10 long 2 by 2 square just like neat receipts, has a 400 mb sd card runs on batteries or ac does pictures and docs. is compatible with mac and windows. 119$ doesnt print but pretty neat. google it and it will come up or go to qvc.com and search for it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A computing platform is the hardware systems of the computer (motherboard, CPU, RAM, I/O buses) and software framework (UNIX, DOS, Windows, Mac) that allows software to run on the machine. Typically, a platform includes the computer's architecture, operating system, programming languages and the related user interface, be they keyboard and mouse, runtime libraries, whatever. The Windows platform and the Mac platform are different platforms in that they use different operating systems and programming languages, and thus require different hardware in many cases. Some peripherals like printers and scanners are cross-platform, meaning they will work with multiple computing platforms. There are cases, like in the one above, where the hardware is cross-platform, but the software to make the hardware work is not cross-platform.

So basically, "cross-platform" usually means, "works with both Windows and Mac."

As for a PDF scanner, any scanner can scan to a PDF. All you need is Adobe Acrobat on your computer and the scanner will scan to that format. I have a sub-$100 HP Photosmart All-in-One printer/scanner/copier, and it scans to PDF's without any problems.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
we just bought a kodak p811 scanner 10 long 2 by 2 square just like neat receipts, has a 400 mb sd card runs on batteries or ac does pictures and docs. is compatible with mac and windows. 119$ doesnt print but pretty neat. google it and it will come up or go to qvc.com and search for it.

Thanks Dyno that is alot cheaper an option and as the "shelled one" sez below Adobe can handle the software portion.

As for a PDF scanner, any scanner can scan to a PDF. All you need is Adobe Acrobat on your computer and the scanner will scan to that format. I have a sub-$100 HP Photosmart All-in-One printer/scanner/copier, and it scans to PDF's without any problems.

We also have an "all in one" and have used Adobe since we started.
Just wish we could get away from the bulky (this thing is as big as a small suitcase) "all in one" and onto a smaller (plug in play USB) scan device for convenience sake.
Only concern is the ability to scan thermal paper data with such a device and if that is a problem then would have no choice I guess but to purchase another "all in one".
May have answered my own question?
Thanks Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I like the Neat Receipts thing a lot, both for it's size and for it's software. But I still use the printer/copier every now and then at shippers or consignees, so I wouldn't want to give that up. Also, since it's a photo printer, it lets me print photos out on the spot, like of damaged freight about to be placed onto my van. I take a pic, print it out and hand one copy to the shipper, and I'll give another to the consignee. Those pics have saved my butt three times now. Sooo, as long as I'm going to have and keep the printer, might as well have a scanner built into it.

I use the Industrial Strength Velcro to secure it to the top of the microwave. It's so secure that I have a hard time getting it off. Fortunately, I've only had one paper jam where that was necessary, cause it's a PITA.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
that was the first thought of mine. by thermal you mean the thin almost transparent paper, i take. i tried and not only did it scan with no problems it seemed to enhance the hand written items. my only thing is i wish it printed. for the size and cost and dual power option it will be great. have not checked the web but i would bet you could find a usb power source for it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Um yeah right scanners ... not truck scanners that weigh you when you go near them but computer scanners?

shouldn't this be like in the tech forum?

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
nice option also but way expensive the kodak is as long but only half as wide and over half less. did not notice cannon being mac capable.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
nice option also but way expensive the kodak is as long but only half as wide and over half less. did not notice cannon being mac capable.

Productive and Practical
One-pass duplex scanning of batches up to 20 sheets
Fast scanning speeds of up to 15 pages per minute and 30 images per minute
Windows ISIS/TWAIN drivers and Mac TWAIN driver for tight integration with third-party software
Can be shared for use in both Windows and Mac environments