Saw something really cool today

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I was talking to a Panther driver and he was telling me about his mew box. The cool thing was it had a switch on the in the box that made rollers pop up in the floor and you can easily roll freight around in the box. Then you just flip the switch and the rollers go back down so you can secure the freight and go about your business. I thought it was really cool.

moose

Veteran Expediter
What kind of truck ?
do you know hoe made the box ?

Air freight terminals have a similar system that work on Air , was that the case here ?

sound heavy .

if you have a wooden floor , some shippers will have sand , works great ,but then you have to sweep the floor.

good idea tho'w ,

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I discovered them one day when I say a van and a box truck with them installed. I ordered two of them from the manufacture and was going to install it in my van but moved to the truck instead.

They are rollers that have a thin pneumatic bag under them to push them up. They are less than an inch and a half high and fit perfectly in between two pieces of 3/4 plywood in the lower channel of the van floor. When the bag is deflated the rollers are below the plywood surface. There are two problems with them, one is if the bag breaks, nothing works and if you get a pallet with a nail hanging out, it will rip them up.

I don't have them in front of me so I can't tell you who made them, but they are not cheap.

usaf6186

Veteran Expediter
My last five years in the AF I was a courier. We had some leased trailers that had rollers that were raised by hydrulics. I think they were made for the beer ind. They worked great for alumunum aircraft pallets. Of course you had to remember to lower the rolles. One day a driver pulled away from the dock without putting the rollers down. the pallet almost tooklout the back doors. Hearing the noise he slamed on the brakes. So the 6000 lb pallet went the 53 ft length of the trailer and almost went through the ft of the trailer. My CO and the lease company were not happy campers. Jerry Lee

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Yeah, I remember hearing another driver talking about those and have been wanting to get e tracks with rollers for my van since. I didn't know about the pnumonic bags tho...pretty cool idea. Although you could also install a small towing wench.near the sleeping area or outside under the van then hook a towing strap up and wouldn't have to worry about the rollers....;)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
rb1_4_800px.jpg

These are made by Roller Bed Systems at Rollerbedsys.com

They also have a roller ball version of it which is what I would consider if I was going to go to a new truck or new box.

wellarmed

Not a Member
If you want to save money, a skid puller and tow strap work very well for those from ground level delivery's

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i have the rollers in my van work great

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
These are made by Roller Bed Systems at Rollerbedsys.com

They also have a roller ball version of it which is what I would consider if I was going to go to a new truck or new box.

I looked into those too. Was told by mfr the balls are less likely to get messed up by nails and debris by design.

Last edited: