satilite raido in spriter

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
want to put xm in sprinter. Is there an easy way to get to the aux in back of raido ? how do you get the raido out ? need advice please

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Easy way is to just plug it into the front of your radio if you have an aux spot, or just tune the station in with the radio. I did that for a year before getting a radio with the Aux spot. For me it would have involved taking it to best buy or somewhere to do what you want. I'm not very handy with stuff like that :eek:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
want to put xm in sprinter. Is there an easy way to get to the aux in back of raido ? how do you get the raido out ? need advice please
sprinter parts

Go to that page and you'll see the two things you need:

removal%20keys.jpg

Removal keys Sound 20/30 only
Part# 1184.989

IMG_0605.JPG

Sound 20 / 30
Aux input Part# 5002.826

The Removal Keys you can find at Walmart or Autozone, but they need to look like the ones in the picture. They're really cheap. I got a radio removal set that had those, and I think one or two other different kinds in it, I'm pretty sure from Walmart. You shove them into the slots in the lower left and right of the radio, jam 'em in there good, and they will trigger the spring that holds the radio in. Then just slide the radio forward.

The Aux Input cable plugs into the back of the radio and the other ends are two standard female RCA jacks. You then plug in a regular audio cable with two male jacks into the ends of the Aux Input cable, and one male jack on the other end goes into the XM receiver. Running the cable from the Aux Input cable to the XM receiver can be tricky, but if you remove the console cover (shifter, door lock buttons, etc,) you can feed it up through that way, over along the right side of the radio.

2013-03-19_17-50-54_463a_zps2132baa8.jpg

I cut small notches (filed them with a file, I think) into the edge of the console cover so the cables (audio and power) could easily go down into the console, and the cables are all hidden. It took 15-30 minutes total start to finish, IIRC. Hardest part was getting the cable fished down the right of the radio down into the console void, but once you realize it's a pretty wide open area it's pretty easy.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Our experience has taught us to avoid Best Buy for any radio work in the Sprinter! We have been to three different Best Buy stores, thinking perhaps the technicians at one store might be better than others. NOT!!

We finally took our Sprinter to Crutchfield and they have the necessary equipment for a Sprinter radio installation. The technician explained to us that Best Buy techs do not have the proper equipment to do Sprinter installs and that was the reason ours was not working properly. They removed the Best Buy junk and installed a radio that works perfectly!! We even get AM/FM stations as well as the Sirius stations! It is worth the money to have it done right. The Crutchfield we used is located in Charlottesville, VA. Best of luck to you! india

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
There are many good car stereo places I avoid Best Buy simply because there expensive, Im sure on New Sprinters they have the SAT radio Option, I have a Kenwood Deck that has the FRONT AUX IN, as well as a SD Card input, no more CDS, I have about 700 albums on 2 SD Cards....yes ALBUMS...Although now Im buying used CDs and loading them onto the SD Cards...If your near St Louis CUSTOM SOUNDS and AUDIO EXPRESS can hook you up and they have the 1 dollar install if you buy parts thru them....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I would think my 2012 MB Sprinter would have xm radio already in it, but it didnt:( And mine is even loaded

When you know that Sprinters are made in Europe, and you know the coverage map for SiriusXM Radio, you'll know why Sprinters don't have XM already in them.

sirius_coverage_map.jpg

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
When you know that Sprinters are made in Europe, and you know the coverage map for SiriusXM Radio, you'll know why Sprinters don't have XM already in them.

sirius_coverage_map.jpg

Hey turtle, I know sprinter are made in Europe. Now I didnt know about the coverage of xm radio. I like the map. Now on the passager vans I think they have xm on them.

Monty

Expert Expediter
I found my best Sprinter solution was to simply buy a set of powered speakers, and plugged the aux from the XM into them. I sat the speakers on the dash ..... no removal, no wiring, just KISS .... (keep it simple stupid).

Using the fm transmitter always found interference.

dolphin

Seasoned Expediter
I found my best Sprinter solution was to simply buy a set of powered speakers, and plugged the aux from the XM into them. I sat the speakers on the dash ..... no removal, no wiring, just KISS .... (keep it simple stupid).

Using the fm transmitter always found interference.

Good idea didn't think of that. I hate driving through the cities with Sirius using radio freq set up.
Spend too much time changing channels and not so safe with traffic.

sirgregory46

Expert Expediter
They make a fm cutout for xm radio that goes between the radio and the antenna. Takes minutes to install no fuss no muss. There about 30$

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Love my iKicker!! In the van. By the firepit. In the garage. By the pool. Great range. Great clarity. Remote control, aux in, iPhone/iPod in. ImageUploadedByEO Forums1370899418.808394.jpg