Satellite Radio

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Today XM sent out a E mail that the National Association Of Broadcasters is trying to stop them and Serius from giving real time traffic and weather conditions in major metro areas.I guess they want us to listen to local sceaming DJ!s and make sure we vist Tom!s Ford this weekend.
They have a web site, http//grassroots.xmradio.com and this will give you information and also allow you (if you wish) to give feedback to the FCC.I for one like the XM traffic and weather forecasts,helps you to make decisions in advance of the city, so I voiced my objections to the FCC and hope everyone else does.I brought it up as a safety issue for truckers in that we can get advance information as too the road and weather conditions when we are far awy.We need XM and Serius so lets all get involved.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks Rich for reminding me about this.I had intended to write the FCC but with all the"Pre-Dispatching"Going on it plumb slipped my mind.Is it not intersting how much reg radio broadcasters have began to feel the threat of satelite.Now that the numbers are reaching the 2 million mark,no wonder they are shook up.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I was wondering when the static, outdated mode of AM radio was going to take a legal swing at XM.

Rich - Thanks for the heads up.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I sent the following to the FCC. Having been involved in such initiatiaves in the past, I can say that such comments really do make a difference. They are all read, categorized and counted by FEC workers. That data is then passed on to the decision makers.

Thank you, Rich for alerting us to this opportunity to make our voices heard. Note that a colon is missing from the web address Rich posted. It's http://grassroots.xmradio.com

--------------------------
I urge the continuation of satellite radio traffic and weather reports.

As an over the road truck driver, I use these reports to plan my trips through congested areas. I cannot do so in advance with local radio as I'd be out of broadcast range. I know several truckers that do the same. By avoiding congested areas we truckers can get through cities faster and help relieve the congestion that is there. This nationwide resource benefits truckers and all other motorists that travel in congested areas. It is not in the public interest to deny satellite radio weather and traffic programming to truckers and others that make good use of it.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
while not relating to traffic reports, simular attempts were made by local broadcasters when cable tv came out. Then followed again when satalite tv began doing local broadcasts. On dish tv I beleive we pay an extra couple of dollars for local channels. I wonder if that is the path the local radio stations are going for. I am sure they are complaining they are losing advertising dollars. XM and Sirrius will become the Wal-marts of the radio world.

trump

Expert Expediter
Is Satellite Radio commercial free. It sounds interesting but I wouldn't like it if I have to pay for it and still get a lot of commercials.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
there are ads on the talk programs but most of the music is commercial free. That is on XM. Can't say anything about Sirius. XM has a channel just for trucking that is good and up to date driving and weather ect.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
check it out and you'll find XM one of the best values for the buck. Dave Nemo et al on channel 171 is static free from coast to coast. unlike AM-FM you can stay tuned to the same station from p/u to delivery. Consider it another tool for the trucker that make the work all that more enjoyable. See Dave and the radio at the Expedite Expo; maybe even win one.

trump

Expert Expediter
I plan to attend the expo in Woodhaven,Mi as I live 1 mile from there.I think it will be a valuable learning tool for me.and I hope to meet some of the people that post here. maybe I might win one of the Satellite radio's. If not it will be my next purchase. Thanks for the imformation . All of you are a great help here.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Is it just my imagination, or has the CB radio got a lot quieter since about a million or more of us have satelite.I consider it to be the best addition ever to the truck.WHOOPS...I mean after Carol of course.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We have Sirrius in our truck. With 100+ channels offered by both Sirrius and XM (the two sattelite radio competitors), it's hard to imagine anyone being disastisfied with the choice of either one. We are happy with Sirrius and especially enjoy the stronger public radio programing it has over XM. We are unhappy with Sirrius because the Sirrius trucking channel is lame. The music stations are commercial free. Some of the news stations are simply the audio feeds from the TV stations (CNN, Fox, CNBC) so you get their comercials too.

SpaceGhost58

Expert Expediter
Just had to share my 2 cents about satellite radio.

I bought Sirius and I love it!!!
My finger was so sore from trying to find that good channel before I bought it and now I can never go back to regular radio.

As far as XM vs. Sirius it was what I was looking for that made me go with Sirius.
I am a rabid hockey fan and Sirius has full NHL coverage and that was what sold me on Sirius.

I love the music stations and mostly I love being able to listen to what I want from coast to coast.

Throw in "The Savage Nation" and what else can an expediter ask for?

Spaceghost