Sales Tax On A Truck Purchase?

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
I thought that trucks being purchased for commercial use were exempt from sales tax. Is that true?

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
depends on state where you buy it and put plates on it in va it is tax
than you have more taxes after that to personal prop tax on top of that

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Geo!

I live in Ohio.

If any members are aware of a sales tax exemption in this state I would sure appreciate a reply.

I thought I read about owner operators who were mistakenly charged the sales tax and had to send in a form to get it refunded.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I can't speak for Ohio; however, they may be comparable to the Missouri rules. We get a truck sales tax exemption if we meet the following criteria:

Must be a carrier or leased to a carrier involved in interstate commerce and show proof by document. Typically a lease agreement.

Must be registered at greater than 12,000#

Must pay apportioned fuel tax.

This is more stringent than many States.

Terry

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
This was copied from the Ohio Dept of Taxation website.

Generally, the owner of the motor vehicle is the one who holds the PUCO or ICC/MC permit. However, the owner of the motor vehicle could be under contract with the PUCO/ICC/MC permit holder. When the owner of a motor vehicle being used in highway transportation for hire is not the permit holder, the owner must provide a copy of the contract, which authorizes the owner to operate the vehicle under the PUCO/ICC/MC permit number.

Any motor vehicle (tractor/trailer rig, pick-up truck, automobile, van, sport utility vehicle and/or motorcycle) could qualify for the TH exemption if it is primarily used in highway transportation for hire.

PS. I thought someone posted a link where it was possible to locate a company's MC number? If anyone has that link I would certainly appreciate your posting it in a reply.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
In late October of '05 I bought a truck and the nice ladies at the Lorain County, Ohio title bureau told me everything I needed from the Co. that I was going to lease with to avoid paying sales tax. It took a couple of days for everyone to get on the same page, but it got handled.

Go to your local title bureau and talk to the folks there, then call the Co. you're going to lease with and get them to FAX the paperwork to the title bureau.

Rex

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
A salute and a tip of the hat to Rex and Tony for their help!

I owe both of you a debt of gratitude.

Hopefully I can be of assistance to you someday.

Now this is how it is supposed to work.

Thanks men!

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
I was under the same impression about sales tax. I purchased my truck a year ago in Michigan and had to pay sales tax on it. I checked into it at Lansing and was told, you have to show that you were in Business as a previous owner for at least one year pryer to purchasing your new truck. then you could buy your next truck without sales tax....Butch :D :D :D