Safety records, authority of trucking companies

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter
I had someone ask me tonight how they could check out the safety record of the company his was driving for.

Well, since I WAS driving for someone who lost their authority to be on the road, I kind of found out from a DOT officer.

While it was a HUGE ticket for them and JUST lost time for me- it kind of was a hard way to learn alot more about this company. (No I will not say who it was)

But you can go to the following website at:

http://safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/CompanySnapshot.aspx

He can check to see if the authority is still in force, insurance status and the safety record of the company.

Pretty good site just to see.

Most of you may already know about this but some of us newer drivers in the business should go to this site.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
RE: Safety records, authority of trucking companie

KW Express
o/o till i die

lol thats so funny Im glad to see something is going wrong for that sob

I dont understand he takes in alot of money screws everyone around but dont even pay his insurance on time.I know of at least 7 others now he screwed in AL,MI,IL,TX,TN,WI,IN

ooida should take this one up if they truely was looking out for the independents.at least get him on leaseing viaolations.I know he didnt give me a orieintation or drug test how about you

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter

No drug test no nothing.
In fact, I dont know if I told you this but he did not even ask for a copy of my CDL or medical card!
He never really knew if I had one, I do of course, but, he actually just took my word - he never even met me face to face either!
Like I said, he has to come up with alot of money to get his truck back know, plus I think I still may turn him over to the feds for failure to collect the required paperwork - I don't know yet, making him cough up the money is good enough but shutting this con man down would even be better.
Even the guy he is leasing the trucks from has been shut down that is why he actually got his own authority because the other guy was forced to close!

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard

Chuckwagon:

There is no shortage of disrespect, in these fora, for those owners who fail to abide by their agreement to pay their drivers for services rendered. Any driver who allows more than one pay period to pass without due compensation should seriously consider leaving that owner and seeking other job opportunities.

Notwithstanding an owners failure to pay, a driver should immediately return the owners vehicle and property upon dissolution of the lease agreement or employment. The driver should then seek payment due through our legal system. Not an easy remedy, but perhaps the only viable recourse. Should a driver decide to no longer work for the owner, but continue to keep his vehicle, the driver might be prosecuted for unlawful bailment of the owner's property.

The old adage "two wrongs don't make a right" is an appropriate phrase in this instance. Don't allow your hold-back of the owner's vehicle to place you in the owner's company.

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter

OOPS!!!!!!!!!
Sorry about that, Hawk knows more of the story so I was taking a shortcut there - but what I mean where you dont think I am in the wrong is that he has one heck of a hefty repair bill at a shop he needs to pay before they will let it out of their fenced in area.

The money he directly owes me is a different story. Hope that clears that up.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter

KW Express
o/o till i die

did you drive the blue century?

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter

No. It was a FL-70 automatic, I belive a 2000. It had a bent window frame right at the drivers door. About 475,000 miles. Not a bad truck for a rookie!

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

I hope that jerk rots in expediter's hell! (200 dh, 100 loaded, wait for a week and do it all over again, and not get paid) :7

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas