Ryder used Sprinters

fredb29617

Seasoned Expediter
For those of you that have bought a used sprinter please share your thoughts on this subject.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I looked at one last year but they wanted too much for it. I just worry about it being treated like a rental.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I looked at one last year but they wanted too much for it. I just worry about it being treated like a rental.

that is why I said be careful and selective......compare price to miles and have fluids checked to make sure authorized fluids have been used and Ryder should have a maintainance log for that van

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Still a crap shoot.
You wouldn't be able to inspect the #3 rod bearing and the #1 main bearing.

Agreed, OVM.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
You know, that's true. I've been known to buy an Express with 235,000 miles on it***. LOL!!
That's one HECK of a dice roll.
Excellent point!!!

***Just turned 375,000 on that van today.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
You know, that's true. I've been known to buy an Express with 235,000 miles on it***. LOL!!
That's one HECK of a dice roll.
Excellent point!!!

***Just turned 375,000 on that van today.

You should get an easy 600K taking care of it. Transmission Maybe.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
You should get an easy 600K taking care of it. Transmission Maybe.

I don't worry about the last 140,000 miles that I've run in the last 13 months & 6 days. I worry about the prior 235,000 miles. And the fact it has those plumber shelves in it. Probably lots of weight.

Last edited:

fredb29617

Seasoned Expediter
That's true my ford just turned 375.000 only major item so far was ball joints.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I should probably check all my moving parts in the front end of the van. I don't get sloppy steering but I GOTTA have some play in there somewhere.
:confused:

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
most important you need to see all maintance records if they won't give you maintance record stay away from that unit

you need to know from day one what has been done to the unit
help you make a better decision to buy or not

fredb29617

Seasoned Expediter
That was one of the first questions that I asked them and she said sure. And I wanted to take it to the freightliner for an inspection and that was fine also. But as someone said for a van to have 230,000 and want $23.000 I said that needed to come down to $18.000 3rd That's where we differed.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That was one of the first questions that I asked them and she said sure. And I wanted to take it to the freightliner for an inspection and that was fine also. But as someone said for a van to have 230,000 and want $23.000 I said that needed to come down to $18.000 3rd That's where we differed.

Just out of curiosity, what year are you looking at?

sewmun

Seasoned Expediter
It's not a Sprinter but I bought a FL70 of Ryder it was an off-lease never a rental(which I'd never buy) and I couldn't believe the way they maintained it.I have all the records from day one.The last 2 yrs I told it to get inspected they tell me it's in great shape & it's nice to see a truck that's been maintained.I've had it 3-yrs & no major issues.I was able to get them down $2,500.00 off the price that was lowered 4k from the previous year.But I'm sure they are aware a lot of people are wanting a Sprinter so they might not come down a lot.Usually off lease are lower miles.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I worked about a year in a Ryder Shop, just prior to starting my driving career.

Our lease trucks were as good a used truck as you would find. (1977).

An interesting thing to me was we would start a pm by putting a pressure tester on the radiator.

Pressurize and leave on for entire pm. If there were leaks, regardless of how minor, the mechanic should find it. ( trucks were simpler then. Technicians weren't required.)

Never seen this practice anywhere else in my career. ( Other than in my shop, of course.)

fredb29617

Seasoned Expediter
It was an 08 and like I said everyone was the same miles and price.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Ryder has a rep for taking care of their trucks. There's no money in a rental truck sitting on the side of the road.