RV TRANSPORTING

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter
I Recently ran across some old forum pertaining to RV Transporting and was wonderin if its just me or do you make more doing rv moving,or doing expiditing????

Appears to me that the expiditing field has got so swollen up with lies frome every tom ,#####,and jane company out there that it seems better to haul r.v.s

As for some of the notes i have read some of the people that responded and recommended Hoosier and Horizon .....welll lets just say ...THEY NEED TO BE PIMP SLAPPED AND SHOT!!!!!

iF YOU WANT COMPANIES THAT LISTEN TO THEIR DRIVER TRY QUALITY DRIVE-AWAY AND BENNETT TRUCK TRANSPORT

As for hoosier,and horizon and r.v. transport..go to work for those pee-ons and become a pee-on or work for Quality and Bennett and be GUARANTEED that you will be PAID

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I hesitate to reply but here goes. Your attitude seems just a little negative. Well, maybe a lot. It seems you have experience with all the companies in both the RV delivery and Expediting business. I'm just a young unexperienced kid of 59 but I find a lot more good in both industries. But then again. I don't have experience with every one of them.

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter
guess i dont have much room to talk at 35 y.o. but try gettin stuck at a sucky company like express 1 fer a job NEVER EVER AGAIN will i do that

BESIDES THAT I MADE BETTER MONEY HAULING TRAILERS THANS SITTIN AROUND A TRUCK STOP LIKE Y'ALL DO
:p }> :)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>guess i dont have much room to talk at 35 y.o. but try
>gettin stuck at a sucky company like express 1 fer a job
>NEVER EVER AGAIN will i do that
>
>
>BESIDES THAT I MADE BETTER MONEY HAULING TRAILERS THANS
>SITTIN AROUND A TRUCK STOP LIKE Y'ALL DO

I guess I will throw in a few comments. I guess I am getting tired of crybabies/idiots who don’t take responsibility for themselves and who complain about stupid stuff.

After considerable thought of hauling trailers, I decided to run away from that, too many idiots. No problems with the companies, I just didn’t like the NASCAR attitude needed to race back to get another trailer at my expense.

The problem I see is the entire program is dependent on either market demands or disasters, which is not good. Recessions do hurt market demands and disaster work have too much competition with idiots driving trucks that are unsafe at any speed. I do believe you can make some money but you all fill in the blanks.

Expediting, Trailer hauling, courier services and general trucking are all the same, it ALL DEPENDS on the customer, not the carrier to create the work. The carrier, whether it is Express-1, FedEx CC, Hoosier, Horizon, Schneider or Hartland – they are all the same, they need the customer to have something to move to get the freight to let you make money, understand? They make money, you make money and the customer gets served.

But as I sit at a truck stop reading and watching the trucks and motor homes go by, I always find myself talking to someone that complains about things with their company. I end up asking them this; if X Company or Y Company were so bad, why are they still in business? And if I get frustrated I ask them if you are such a d*** expert, why don’t you start up a carrier? I do run into this lately, maybe it is the time of year. Go figure.

As for lies, there is no company that is completely honest about things so if you think you were lied to, maybe you lied to yourself.

Oh yea one last thing, no one forced you to sign on with any carrier, so if you made the mistake of the wrong company, what can I say, being 35 you should know better.

Well I am done venting. Merry Christmas

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Anybody that recommends Bennett needs to be pimp slapped and shot . I know I've been there . They won't guarantee a load over the phone or will lie to you about it . Drivers , including myself have deadheaded several hundred miles to Bristol , In for a supposed load that wasn't there . If it happened on a Friday there was no way to contact anyone before Monday . They keep bankers hours and no one answers the phone when the office is closed . Bristol charges every driver a $27 fee to pull trailers out of their lot . Chanute, KS will also say they have a trailer for you then give it to someone else before you get there . Longview , Texas just saves loads for a select few and tells most drivers they have no loads . You have to run over 150,000 miles a year to net maybe $35,000 . That's pretty much minimum wage .

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Maybe I'm wrong, but don't most RV-haulers deadhead back in hopes of finding another load?

Of all the RV-haulers I've meet driving the pick up truck with a fifth wheel, are either blind (putting it mildly) or don't know an better. From those RV haulers I met, 95% of them couldn't do expedite driving. A good expediter MUST have a brain and know how to use it.

Happy Holidays!

G

RV delivery has always intrigued me, but when I see that they pay under $1 a mile and virtually every load has the same number of loaded and deadhead miles, I wonder how you can make any money at something like 50 cents a mile on all miles. Then you also have the issue of not having a DOT approved sleeper and the problems this can cause. If working in a pickup is interesting to someone, I would think they could make more money pulling a gooseneck flatbed.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
In the early 90's we ran hotshots back and forth along I 10. These loads pay somewhere in the $2.00 per mile one way. Some still pay that but increased competition is eroding those rates.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I find this industry extremley limited. Posting on this many times what makes a great business a great business? In my expierence OPTIONS you have no further options in buying a Dulley, you can haul horses, pigs, cows. Steel for Hot Shots or RVs thats about it.

So if things get soft all you have is NO INCOME, now there are many many more options with a straight truck (even with a sleeper attatched) we have seen them listed here. Maybee not as profitable but I am sure in a couple of weeks time I could begin a new source of revenue with this truck.

RV industry is just very limited with the equipment utilized to make it happen and as for making a living with it I doubt it could be consistant better have another source of income to subsidize this business venture. Nothing against this industry just how I see it and the drivers I have talked to make it quick and get out.

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter
I Recently ran across some old forum pertaining to RV Transporting and was wonderin if its just me or do you make more doing rv moving,or doing expiditing????

Appears to me that the expiditing field has got so swollen up with lies frome every tom ,#####,and jane company out there that it seems better to haul r.v.s

As for some of the notes i have read some of the people that responded and recommended Hoosier and Horizon .....welll lets just say ...THEY NEED TO BE PIMP SLAPPED AND SHOT!!!!!

iF YOU WANT COMPANIES THAT LISTEN TO THEIR DRIVER TRY QUALITY DRIVE-AWAY AND BENNETT TRUCK TRANSPORT

As for hoosier,and horizon and r.v. transport..go to work for those pee-ons and become a pee-on or work for Quality and Bennett and be GUARANTEED that you will be PAID

Amazingly I came to find out that Hoosier and Horizon are now the companies to REALLY work for now. As for Bennett and Quality.... they showed their true colors and I would put an amish buggy on with those 2 companies now

As for pay. Last I checked they were over 1.40 for singles and topping 2.20 per mile for tow and haul and hot shots.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My dad used to talk about hauling RV's now and then. He looked at it as a way to get paid a little to go to different parts of the country where he could then be a tourist for however long he wanted and then repeat the process. To me it's like anything else, something to consider as a revenue source only.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My dad used to talk about hauling RV's now and then. He looked at it as a way to get paid a little to go to different parts of the country where he could then be a tourist for however long he wanted and then repeat the process. To me it's like anything else, something to consider as a revenue source only.

I've talked to some and they are doing pretty well....especially if one has good verbal skills....you don't always have to return empty and they haul for multi carriers as well....Indiana isn't the only trailer maker, there are boats as well....and dealer returns and warranty issues from all over the country. Even going to trailer parks and picking them up. The big ones have their own load boards sort of...shipping dates, volume....they don't bid, just commit to a load...