Rust in Fuel Lines 2011 Hino 268A

NBP536

New Recruit
Driver
Truck just had serviced and DOT inspection a couple of weeks ago at an independent shop. After a couple of weeks the water in fuel light came on. Decided to take the truck in to dealer for an oil leak (developed after connecting rod recall work), and water in fuel light. Shop agreed to fix the leak under warranty. While working on the gasket, the mechanic noticed the fuel filter (which had just been replaced) was dirty. When replacing the filter the mechanic said he saw "excessive contamination". They are recommending replacing the fuel tank and everything from the fuel tank to the motor basically to the tune of $9500.
Is there a reason you couldn't just flush the system? And why would you replace aluminum tanks?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I could see an argument for replacing the steel tanks because those rust pretty badly. Aluminum, no. If an aluminum tank is dirty, I'd just take it off and steam clean it as thoroughly as possible, dry it out, and reinstall it.

NBP536

New Recruit
Driver
Thanks for your answer. I spoke with them, apparently the stand pipes are extremely rusted and they cannot buy them individually and need to order the whole tank assemblies.